More billing currencies

Now that CloudFlare are moving into domain registration as well as all the current offerings I really feel it is about time to introduce more billing currencies most notably EUR and GBP.

At the moment I am holding off changing to CloudFlare for domain registration as in the UK banks hit us with unreasonable fees when buying anything in USD which offsets the potential savings.

For such a international company as CloudFlare supporting local currencies is a must.

Are there plans to do this any time soon?

Thanks
Jason

Why not use something like PayPal though and make the conversion with them?

That is an option but here in the UK you will still get a 3.5% fee charged by PayPal above the base exchange rate which is definitely not favorable. In other countries this fee is even larger.

What ever method you use it can’t compete with local currency billing, from such a large company it should really be an option.

In addition with billing in USD there is always uncertainty in exactly how much you will be paying as exchange rates and fees fluctuate which isn’t ideal. I’d prefer to see the prices in my local currency and know what I am paying.

That fee would then transfer to them, increasing their cost. Don’t think that they will just absorb the fee, they will change the pricing and then add onto it all the fees they pay.

Also, they are most definitely not (thanks @sdayman) the only company that bills USD only. I doubt they will ever do so.

@cloonan can probably pitch in.

Or do you mean *not* the only company.

Corrected just in case ahah

Thanks for the catch!

You are referring to Paypal’s transaction fee? That would be charged to the merchant, not the customer.

But yes, Paypal does not apply the mid-market exchange rate either but its own instead, which is - of course - less favourable, however its still somewhat pretty close and usually better than what banks offer (let alone their arbitrary foreign-exchange fees).

Cloudflare could certainly offer additional billing currencies, but I seriously doubt it would get all that much cheaper (especially in comparison to Paypal).

Also in Europe there are online banks with no fees for EUR/GBP to USD conversion, it’s not difficult to use.

+1. Will investigate what’s planned and based on that we may want to reflect this is suggestion in the product request category.

You are referring to Paypal’s transaction fee? That would be charged to the merchant, not the customer.

Based on my understanding using the info on this page https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/cross-border-and-conversion-fees#currencyconversion in the “PayPal currency conversion fee.” section this fee is paid by the customer on top of the base rate.

That fee would then transfer to them, increasing their cost. Don’t think that they will just absorb the fee, they will change the pricing and then add onto it all the fees they pay.

Yes they will need to cover their costs but this is not just about the amount it is about having easy pricing for all localities and making it easy to work out costs of CloudFlare services and domains.

CloudFlare also have the benefit of extreme scale and will get preferential rates which will work out cheaper than each individual consumer paying fees from banks/paypal/etc.

CloudFlare also have offices based in places outside the US so (with some assumptions made) they can already option local bank accounts and operate local businesses to make handling local currencies easy again making for a better experience for end users.

Also, they are most definitely not (thanks @sdayman) the only company that bills USD only. I doubt they will ever do so.

But they are also not a normal company they an extremely large company supporting sites worldwide and in my opinion are on the scale of Google/AWS and others of similar all of which offer local currency pricing.

Also in Europe there are online banks with no fees for EUR/GBP to USD conversion, it’s not difficult to use

I am aware of these but there is no such thing as free they charge you somewhere. It is also not about ease of use but some users and businesses don’t want local bank accounts + paypal + these online services as well it makes accounting harder and adds complexity.

+1. Will investigate what’s planned and based on that we may want to reflect this is suggestion in the product request category.

Thank you

I just want to reiterate I am not saying it is impossible to pay with USD currently or there aren’t ways around the issue, but things could be better and I want to help CloudFlare improve and I know this is something that bothers me and others I talk to.