Misconfigured PTR record

Got this error back when I attempted to send an email. I’ve seen the error once before. I’ve done some updating to DNS records (none of them were what Cloudflare’s PTR records article described), but I’m not really sure what to do with this. Any help would be appreciated so I can get this resolves asap.

Your sending mail server needs to have reverse DNS set up (a PTR record). This can’t be done at Cloudflare; it has to be done by your email provider, or the provider of the server you’re using to send email.

2 Likes

It also seems like you’re sending from Microsoft Office 365, according to your screenshot.

Microsoft has several times in the past been messing up the Reverse DNS (PTR) records for their outbound email infrastructure.

My suggestion would therefore be to complain to Microsoft Support.

2 Likes

Ok, that makes sense. I’m a little new with dealing with DNS records and such, so I assumed that rDNS would be handled in the same place that DNS is.

So, Microsoft support said they can’t help me because our DNS is managed through Cloudflare. Things I’m reading on other sides such as here say that you can’t use PTR records with Exchange Online servers because they dynamically assign IP addresses for every outgoing email.

I think I’m only receiving error messages back from domains that are using Bluehost for their hosting, but I have only a small number of test cases to show that. I’m really not sure where to go from here.

You need to contact the recipients with the badly configured mail servers.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.