Minecraft SRV Record doesn't work properly for some users

I have two instances running on ports 25565 and 25566.
The one on 25566 is labeled “mc2” and the problem is that sometimes, for some users the SRV doesn’t resolve the TCP port. I’ve tried already various combinations and I really don’t know what else to do?

You have the relevant records on :grey: (which is required for anything non-HTTP related), so you should be fine there. The port is an intrinsic feature of an SRV record, so it cannot not resolve.

Your users will most likely have (intermittent) DNS resolution issues and their resolvers will either not resolve the SRV record at all or possibly just not the subsequent A record - or possibly even your whole domain.

I am afraid that’s not really a Cloudflare issue, however, but a generic DNS issue and you’ll need to debug this together with your users. Cloudflare is not really involved here (save for the DNS service, which most likely won’t be the reason here - if anything, Cloudflare’s DNS is typically rock solid).

All of this is, of course, assuming you do not have any DNSSEC issues. If you had those, your entire domain would be broken and you’d need to fix that of course.

Naturally, censoring the domain is not exactly helpful when asking for help :wink: so if you want the records checked out, you better post your domain :slight_smile:

1 Like

My sincere apologies about hiding domain, it’s feralcraft.org

The issue is that this problem appears with lots of users and I’m really running out of solutions to attempt.

DNSSEC is not an issue.

Record exists as well

nslookup -type=srv _minecraft._tcp.mc2.feralcraft.org stan.ns.cloudflare.com
Server:  stan.ns.cloudflare.com
Address:  108.162.193.235

_minecraft._tcp.mc2.feralcraft.org      SRV service location:
          priority       = 0
          weight         = 10
          port           = 25566
          svr hostname   = mc.feralcraft.org

At this point this really is most likely a local issue of your users.

Next time when they have issues you might want to ask them to run these commands to check the DNS resolution

nslookup -type=srv _minecraft._tcp.mc2.feralcraft.org
nslookup -type=srv _minecraft._tcp.mc2.feralcraft.org 1.1.1.1
nslookup -type=srv _minecraft._tcp.mc2.feralcraft.org 8.8.8.8
nslookup mc.feralcraft.org
nslookup mc.feralcraft.org 1.1.1.1
nslookup mc.feralcraft.org 8.8.8.8

That should give you some clue what the problem might be, but overall that’s most likely not remotely Cloudflare related I am afraid.

For example, if they tried to connect to mc2 via A record that would naturally not work. My familiarity with Minecraft ends with the fact that it has nine letters :wink: so I have no idea how you’d specify or force the SRV record, but that would be something to clarify on a Minecraft forum of course.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.