Majority of Domains Fail to Transfer - Is This Yet Another Limit?

Hi @brooklyn,

Unfortunately not, all my many attempts over the past five days have failed.

A user in one of my other threads, Have You Managed to Transfer Any Domains Today?, yesterday reported that the problem had been solved for him, so, I am hopeful that Cloudflare support are now fixing this on an account-by-account basis.

I recommend that you submit a support ticket and you will probably get a response in 4 days. Include as much relevant info as you can in your ticket, including whether or not any of your domains have a subscription to a Cloudflare dedicated SSL certificate (the ones that cost $5 per month, most people do not have them).

After the technician asked me to request the HAR files, the problem still remained unresolved. I think the transfer failure has nothing to do with the browser.

I previously thought that too, but now I understand that Cloudflare’s approach is significantly more complicated than other websites.

If you use other registrars, you are probably familiar with the more straightforward model in which the website simply accepts the domain name + valid AUTH code, takes the payment and initiates a transfer. Cloudflare inserts the additional requirement, before proceeding to payment, of needing their API to confirm that it can go ahead.

Their API is choking on random factors that they don’t yet understand, that is why they keep asking if you are using their dedicated SSL service even though, as the sellers of that service, they already have that information.

So, they do need the HAR files because that shows them what happened when your session made calls to their API.

When I received this error transferring my first domain I got a fraud alert from my credit card company with a few minutes. Responded to the fraud alert, retried the transfer and it worked.

@SamRhea A feature request here would be a “retry now” option. I had to reenter all my details again, when all I needed was for the payment to be attempted again.

Hi everyone!

On the “Please retry” error, that typically indicates a billing problem. We’re working to make that more verbose to track down what actually failed. Some common examples include:

• Your payment provider rejected the charge (Like Michael’s example)
  • Something is amiss with setting the subscription for the zone; gathering a HAR file at this step is really valuable for us to diagnose

Thanks for the recommendation on a faster retry. We’re working on making that easier as well - just rolled out an improvement to retries for cancelled domains that are one-click, we’ll be bringing that here as well soon.

Sam

I specifically called my credit card service provider for this purpose. They clearly told me that my card was not restricted, so let me contact you.

Even if you change your browser and try again, the result will be the same. Obviously this is a unilateral problem with Cloudflare.

Something I’ve noticed that may be causing billing issues that are not the fault of CloudFlare or the end-user.

Each domain transfer is charged in a separate invoice which results in a separate charge on the CC. CloudFlare does these in extremely fast succession. Most of the CC companies will notice a large number of transactions with the same amount and will begin to reject them as it appears to them to be either fraud or an error on the merchants part. As an example: I’ve gone to multiple retailers or websites and purchased the same item in two different transactions - sometimes if i do it fast enough, the second one will be rejected as it is the same dollar amount as the first. If CloudFlare was to aggregate the transfers into a single invoice - it would probably reduce the billing errors significantly.

I believe @SamRhea has stated, in another thread, that they are working on aggregate billing. The current per-domain billing must be costing them a lot in fees. Cloudflare no doubt have a sweet deal from their payment processor, but one big transaction always works out cheaper than, say, ten transactions that add up to the same amount.

The one good thing about card failures is that your bank can tell you exactly what the problem was. Indeed, most good banks will send you an immediate alert via their app to let you know they have denied a charge.

If billing issues are your problem, you are lucky because it is simple to call your bank and permanently whitelist Cloudflare. You only have a real problem if Cloudflare is tripping up over its own API and not even initiating the transfer because it sees issues that would not actually prevent a domain from transferring successfully.