Main page in site shows Namecheap 404 error when Cloudflare is enabled

The 100% certain the DNS settings in Cloudflare are setup perfectly, as this is the fourth site I’ve setup through Cloudflare, yet for the life of me I can’t figure out why, when Cloudflare is enabled, only the main page redirects to this 404 page.

Yet if I turn off Cloudflare, it will take me to the normal page its supposed to load while still using the same DNS and Nameservers, just hitting the disable Cloudflare button. I have contacted Namecheap support 4 times and the first 3 they basically told me that they didn’t know and on the fourth the person told me to contact Cloudflare and say “The root domain resolves to 404 page even with SSL turned off. However, all subdomains you have in your Cloudflare account (like mail, i, cpanel ) resolve into our webserver correctly via both http and https protocols. The host name tylerfulk.com should resolve only to our server’s IP address [IP ADDRESS] There should not be any other destination IP addresses internally set up on their side.” If any other information is needed, please request it. Thanks in advanced.

I’m 100% certain*

I see that your domain redirects to HTTPS. Was it working with HTTPS before you added it to Cloudflare?

1 Like

Yes it was working using the SSL provided by namecheap, but I’d like to have it on Cloudflare if possible.

Great. Then your SSL mode here should be Full (Strict). Double-check that. And if it is Full (Strict) and still not working, give the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option a try from the Overview tab, lower right corner. Give it five minutes to take effect, then see if your site works with HTTPS.

Let us know how it goes.

Origin server was unable or unwilling to find the resource requested. This usually means the host server could not find the resource. To serve a more permanent version of this error one should use a 410 error code.

These errors typically occur when someone mistypes a URL on your site when there is a broken link from another page, when a page that previously existed is moved or removed, or there is an error when a search engine indexes your site. For a typical site, these errors account for approximately 3% of the total page views, but they’re often untracked by traditional analytics platforms like Google Analytics.

Website owners usually implement a custom page to be served when this error is generated.

Cloudflare does not generate 404s for customer websites, we only proxy the request from the origin server. When seeing a 404 for your Cloudflare powered site you should contact your hosting provider for help.

Alright, so Full (Strict), did not have any effect, although, the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” button makes the site work perfectly, although obviously, without the protection of Cloudflare. It resorts back to the SSL provided by Namecheap. Note that this problem is only on the main page of the site, subdomains work flawlessly under the same conditions with cloudflare enabled.

I’m pretty much stumped. It sure looks good without the Cloudflare proxy. So Full (Strict) should work. The only thing I can think of is purging everything in the CIoudflare cache. After that, I suggest that you open a ticket after un-pausing Cloudflare so they can investigate. Be sure to post the ticket number here so someone can push it along.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

Check https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/apps/installed-apps and disable Portzilla if it is enabled.

Yeah, I’m about in the same boat, had a ticket open for about 3-4 days now, last night they just asked me for all the logs and such. Hoping they can figure it out, thanks though! :slight_smile:

Disabled it and re-enabled Cloudflare, will let you know of results.

LOOKS LIKE THAT FIXED IT! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.