Mail stopped sending/receiving after connecting to CloudFlare

I have my main website on Wordpress and Funnels on Groove, so I’m using CloudFlare only for CNAME purposes.

After setting up CloudFlare my mail is no longer sending or receiving. I followed the instructions here (Email undeliverable when using Cloudflare – Cloudflare Help Center) and watched the video that says to turn off the Proxy status on the A record and MX record.

I’ve done this, but I’m still seeing the error that says “This record exposes the IP behind [website] which you have proxied through CloudFlare. To fix this, change its proxy status”.

What other record in the DNS do I need to turn off proxy for? How else can I troubleshoot this?

Hey!

Just running an NSLoookup on the mail. record returns the right result. Could be just the mail client has cached the wrong address?

Thank you for your reply! Do you know what I can do get the mail client to cache the right address?

Hey :slight_smile: ,

What mail client are you using? I’d test now just sending to from a gmail address to a mailbox on web panel

Hi @powelljl
The Email client I use is Apple Mail.
The domain is hosted via Hostgator.

I have been able to send and receive emails from the webmail interface in Cpanel for [name]@advancinghealthnaturally.org, but any emails sent from ActiveCampaign have stopped being received in the inbox or spam - even if ActiveCampaign says the email was sent.

Any advice on what I can do?

A good approach would be to just in case, from the screenshot above, kindly also make DNS-only (:grey: cloud) the records:

  • autoconfig :grey:
  • autodiscover :grey:

You can remove localhost.

May I ask to re-check if there is setup to use your mail.advancinghealthnaturally.org hostname or actually it was using your naked main domain like advancinghealthnaturally.org as a sending server / connection to and with?

  • the same part of the question due to your configuration of Apple Mail POP/IMAP and SMTP server (is it mail.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com?)

Otherwise, it could be some local DNS cache?

Were you connecting over an SSL connection to your e-mail?

  • I see the SSL certificate has got the mail hostname as the SAN in the DNS field

I have checked and I can connect to 25 and 110 port.

Have you tried restarting your computer or a router due to some local DNS cache, if so?

If the mail record is new one, maybe it could be due to some TTL (default 14400) too:

A simple test:

Maybe, for the e-mail as a provider, you would have to use their pre-defined (specified) receiving/sending server instead of your domain one’s?

Useful list of tools to re-check your e-mail functionality:

Would also recommend some few useful articles due to properly e-mail and Cloudflare setup:

Thank you for your response.
I’ve changed the autoconfig and autodiscover to DNS only and removed localhost, as recommended.

My apologies, but I’m not sure how to find the answer to:

May I ask to re-check if there is setup to use your mail.advancinghealthnaturally.org hostname or actually it was using your naked main domain like advancinghealthnaturally.org as a sending server / connection to and with?

  • the same part of the question due to your configuration of Apple Mail POP/IMAP and SMTP server (is it mail.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com ?)

I’ll take a look at the links and articles you’ve shared in the meantime. Thanks again for your help!

May I ask is the app https://www.activecampaign.com/, you are using?
If so, try to log into their interface with your account and look up for any settings as like the sending server or something like that and the value which is there.

Maybe this article can help a bit too:

Furthermore, if you use Apple Mail, I am not an Mac/iOS user, but I believe article(s) from below could help to find the needed and re-check if all good:

If not and none, kindly and patiently wait for some more replies of other users having more experience.

Yes, I am using the ActiveCampaign platform.

The emails are set to send from [email protected] and with regards to the image below, I have set up DKIM by creating a TXT record in the CloudFlare DNS.

And after further troubleshooting, I found the issue.

When I set up CloudFlare the SPF record in the cPanel became outdated. I basically needed to update the SPF in the TXT record in CloudFlare, let it propagate and then emails were back to normal.

Thank you all for your help in resolving this! I learnt a lot in the process.

1 Like

Wow!
That so, I learned something new too with this particular case :wink:
Thank you for great feedback information

I am happy to assist you :slight_smile: