Mail DNS alert

Hello.

I am confused about this alert: “ Some of your DNS only records are exposing IPs that are proxied through Cloudflare. Make sure to proxy all A, AAAA, and CNAME records pointing to proxied records to avoid exposing your origin IP.”

I’m worried because it’s related to the mail server.

This is how it is configured:

On the hosting side, I also receive an alert: “Some zone records do not match. This may be because the DNS are in propagation or because the domain has just expired. They are indicated in red.” an point to → SOA MX mail. silanproductions .com.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Frank

The warning shows up because if somebody looks up your MX record they will see your real IP address (which is necessary for MX records; they are DNS-only and can’t be proxied). But you are also protecting that same IP address behind Cloudflare, presumably for serving web traffic (maybe you have webmail at mail.). The warning lets you know that somebody examining your DNS records can still find your real IP address.

I have exactly the same situation for my mail server.

Hello Frank,
Welcome to Cloudflare community

Please check if your DNS records are matching with the host. I see your A for autoconfig and autodiscover is not matching with the other records. If you’d fix that, the rest will be solved.

I see the website propagation is complete and working fine.

The mail DNS entry needs to exist. That is where your Mx record points. It shouldn’t be proxi d.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.

I deleted the DNS record

which had automatically configured Cloudfare (hosting webmail, you were right), and the alert has disappeared in both Cloudfare and hosting.

Mail is still working correctly. Problem solved.

Thank you very much! :grinning:

Frank

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.