Lost account can't recover Website new nameservers needed?

Good morning, and thank you in advance for your help. The support company I work for recently took over IT duties for a company who had their webpages using cloudflare. The previous support will not provide details of account they used to register for security reasons they say. So we are trying to transfer but realize its not the official way as per the cloudflare website. I have set it up but from what we can tell we have been given the same nameservers as the previous account. image

if we do a nslookup to the domain we can see that its using IP addresses we have not set so we assume this is from the account we cannot access.

is there anyway to get new nameservers? or any other actions we can take.

thank you again.

should note that their is a problem with the webpages and they are currently down… i get a message saying redirected to many times.

You should get new name servers when you attempt to add a new site on a new account. I’d say it’s impossible for a new account to allocate the same two name servers as the old account.

I’m not sure where you see that, but Support docs say this is the way to do it:
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/204615358-Moving-domains-between-Cloudflare-accounts

(the doc may make it look like you need access to the old account, but this is not mandatory)

thanks for your reply. part of the process in that link is this “For example, if you register the domain, myzone.com using [email protected] and lose access to that email account, you will need to create a new Cloudflare account using a new email address, [email protected], and add myzone.com to the new account.” as I don’t know what email address was previously used i don’t think this was followed.

As I said, you don’t need to know anything about the previous account. All you need is a new account, and control of the domain registration so you can set the new name servers.

The big caveat here is if that old account here is also the domain registrant if that domain is registered at Cloudflare. Hopefully that’s not the case for you.

just popping to a meeting will reply after. thanks again.

1 Like

i am not sure what you mean by set the new name servers. I have readded the domain to cloudflare.
i have the godaddy settings pointing to the name servers… anastasia and rohin it all seems setup ok but i am pretty sure we are still conflicting with the other account. which is why the nslookup is not showing the ips from our new setup but from the old one which i am sure was also on anastasia and rohin.

Without knowing the actual domain, I can’t investigate, but if you want to test your new setup, add a Page Rule like:
Match: example.com/foobar
Setting Forwarding URL to https://google.com

Then if you type example.com/foobar (your domain, but still “foobar” so it matches the rule), you should be forwarded to Google.

bellapartments.ca

Up until two weeks ago, that domain was using Cloudflare’s Tina and Rodney name servers.

That all looks correct for a new account. The site is just stuck in an HTTPS redirect loop. I suggest you use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com. The link is in the lower right corner of that page. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS. Only then should you un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

I can’t thank you enough. I will give that step a try and hopefully get back to you with good news.

1 Like

It’s still in an HTTPS redirect loop. As this is a direct connection to Squarespace, you’ll have to resolve this issue with them.

1 Like

im good to unpause then you think?? again thank you so much for your help crazy that something as simple as pausing may be the resolution for somethig ive been working for 4 days on. I should have just asked from the start.

sorry, cloudflare prevented any further replies as I am new to site.

once unpaused the ips immediately revert back to the original nslookup so then when i talk to Squarespace they tell me I need to fix the DNS…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.