Large Request Spike

One of my websites had a substantial request spike from Germany; thus, I also have a large spike on my webserver compute cylcles. How come Cloudflare didn’t detected the large increase in requests? Why didn’t Cloudflare stop the attack?

Anyone?

Did IPs from Germany directly connect to your server? Or are you recording IPs based on IPs from Cloudflare’s HTTP header?

I got the IPs from my server logs, but I also had the spike on Cloudflare

If, for example, your website was featured on a German newscast, this spike would be completely normal.

But if it’s an unbearably large volume of unwanted traffic, you can take the DDoS approach. Here’s an article on first steps, then ways to fine tune your defenses:

If, for example, your website was featured on a German newscast, this spike would be completely normal.

Not if all the requests are from the same IP address

But if it’s an unbearably large volume of unwanted traffic, you can take the DDoS approach. Here’s an article on first steps, then ways to fine tune your defenses:

Donde that. Unfortunately, I didn’t detect the spike until it was too late. I can’t use all my time checking the stats and waiting for spikes and change my site to “I’m Under Attack”.

There should be a warning from Cloudflare about the spike

You can give Rate Limiting a try. You’d only pay for the legitimate traffic.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.