On Monday, I asked a very simple question:
“Is Image Resizing available to Pro plans now?”
I have still not received an answer, despite mentioning it in another ticket as well. The 2nd ticket listed some important questions about the Image Resizing service – that was 2 days ago, and the initial answer was “did you read the documentation?”.
Image Resizing is visible in my Pro account, but the documentation and pricing information still shows it as being limited to Business and Enterprise accounts. Why is it so difficult to answer/fix?
It was brought up in other threads as well (f.e. Products on a domain to domain basis or across accounts?), with no answer from CF staff (and threads being closed after just 3 days of inactivity is quite crazy).
I asked the following (reformatted) questions in my second ticket:
Just to double-check, worker resize requests to the exact same URL will be cached, and we’ll only be charged for UNCACHED requests? For example, if image.png?w=100 is requested, the resized file will be cached, and subsequent requests to that same URL will return the cached image without incurring any additional cost (apart from the worker invocation possibly)?
Related to the above, if there’s a source image with dimensions 100x100, and a resize request is made for 200x200 with the scale-down option, essentially meaning that the service should return a 100x100 image, will CF return the cached 100x100 image, or still charge for a resize request?
- In my opinion, if there’s a charge for this, then it should be considered a bug, as the data is already available, and no resizing is necessary. It also greatly expands the range of sizes that could be requested, inflating costs.
What type of built-in rate-limiting does the resizing service have, if it were put under load (many different sizes of images requested)? If we were to apply additional rate-limiting on the worker itself, it looks like the cost would be quite high, so that may not be an option.
Are there are any mitigations against abuse? Is it possible to receive billing alerts for image resizing costs? Is it possible to disable the product or worker if a certain usage/cost limit is reached?
- I don’t see
Image Resizinglisted under the
Usage Based Billingnotification – why is that?
- I don’t see
Is there a way to disable the default URL scheme (/cdn-cgi/image/), if we’re wanting to use a worker? Would a page rule work?
And later added 1 more:
- If the same size image is requested via multiple data centers, are you charged for each one? I’m concerned about this thread: Image Resizing Requests. If this is true, then you’re effectively being charged up to 200 times for each resized image, which makes the pricing VERY high.
Today I enabled IR to try to get some answers myself, and got stuck at the first hurdle – performing a resize request to the same URL twice resulted in 2 requests showing up, and clicking “View billable usage” shows “No data”. How am I supposed to know which of the 2 requests would be charged for as uncached, and which would not be charged for? This is Q1 above – I can’t even test the other things.
Very disappointed in CF’s support, after being a customer for years.
I need official answers, as there are financial implications if the wrong information is provided.
Still no replies here, or via the tickets. I have anecdotally confirmed that:
- You’re billed only for uncached requests.
- You’re billed once for every data center.
- This means that each image needs to be resized at every data center, so cost increases ~x200. Why not centralize the resize requests, and have the data centers check a centralized cache?
I’ll probably run a test for #2 as well, but #6 might be a deal-breaker.
- I was charged for a request with a width of 1200px (using
dpr=2, so effectively 2400px), when the source width is 1200px, and the 1200px resized version already existed.