Just wanted to by Microsoft 365 business std

It’s a long and frustrating story for a person not familiar with the terms used. Ordering the Microsoft 365 Office package for business I was asked to give information about my domain, which I did and I was then asked to confirm that the domain belonged to me by pressing a button for acessing GoDaddy. The hourglass turned around for an hour before I stopped the process and started all over again, this time using the alternative which lead me to Cloudflare. Here Cloudflare seems to have tricked me to change something I not was aware of what was and in the end Cloudflare insists on that I change the nameservers. Then the frustrating part started. I do not find out where to change the nameservers. I asked my web site provider who did not understand what I asked them about. I asked a friend working with computers and I have asked myself several times where to change the nameservers. No answer so far. Anyone that can take away my growing frustrations+

Holy smokes! They’re dense. Web hosts deal with this every day. Name servers are set at the place where you registered/bought your domain name. I don’t know whose process led you to Cloudflare, but it’s still workable.

If you post the domain name, we can give you more specific information, but here’s the setup:

• You have a website. Your host has DNS records that provide addresses for your website.
  • Cloudflare will duplicate those DNS records (but double-check to make sure they didn’t miss any).
  • Go to your domain registrar and switch the name servers so they use the Cloudflare ones instead of your host’s.
  • Now you’ll still have a website (at your web host) with DNS records (at Cloudflare).
  • When someone wants to visit your site, they’ll get the DNS records from Cloudflare. If that DNS record is Proxied, then your visitors will be routed though Cloudflare for improved performance and security.

Thanks for a swift answer. My domain is photobytorbjoernmoen.com and it was registered through Vistaprint from their Norwegian web site. It’s some years ago, so I do not remember much of the process but I can see from the icann lookup that the registrar is TUCOWS, INC. It would be really helpful if you could help me with where to complete this process.

That domain is already using Cloudflare name servers (logan and maya), but it looks like a special setup. Your site has been using Cloudflare for at least the last three years.

Is Cloudflare telling you to change your name servers to something other than logan and maya?

Do you still have access to your domain registrar account?

Hi again, Yes, Cloudflare tells me to change the nameservers but I do not find a way to do so. You ask a tricky question if I still have access to my domain registrar account, because i do not understand where this is.

It sounds like you set up your domain at Vistaprint. Original name servers were from Vistaprint before they switched to Cloudflare. Can you log into your Vistaprint account?

What name servers is Cloudflare asking you to switch to?

New server names are harvey.ns.cloudflare.com and nataly.ns.cloudflare.com. I tried to change the names in my Vistaprint account, but was not allowed.

That’s a huge problem. That means you can never change hosting for your domain.

Have you asked them for assistance in changing name servers?

Yes, but they did not understand what i wrote them about. I’ll call them on Monday when they are open. Think I am able to tell them what to do thanks to this dialog. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hi sdayman,

Now it is nearly a month since I tried to get some help to start up my Microsoft 365 business with no success. I have been communicating with Vistaprint as you suggested and Microsoft to get my domain photobytorbjoernmoen.com authorized by 365 business with no result. For a person with no extended knowlegde about the setup of domains and web-sites it is timeconsuming, non productive and frustrating not to get this up and go. It seems like I must have someone to change the nameservers for me to:

First of all Vistaprint is only my web-site host and is not the registrar of the domain. They cannot change the nameservers as you suggest. The simple question is who can do that for me? Aren’t Cloudflare my registrar? If not, please let me know what you do in this chain of suppliers and who my registrar is and how I can contact them.

Hope for a goal reaching answer.

Best regards Torbjørn Moen

That’s not what you said earlier:

There is no way around this. You have to make these changes at your registrar (the place where you bought your domain name).

While Cloudflare works well for many, it is not required for a website and email to work. In your case, you can certainly go back to using your old name servers, so you’d have to undo the name server change you did in the beginning.

Hi again,

Thanks for your quick response. The challenge here is that i do not understand what any of you talk about. I hope I did not write that Vistaprint is my registrar. When I looked up via WHOIS/ICANN it says that Tucows, INC is my registrar and that Vistaprint is the reseller. What is the purpose wiht Cloudflare in this case? Why do I deal with you at all? When I understand that, may be I am able to go further and look for other solutions.

Best regards Torbjørn

sdayman MVP '18, '19, '20
September 24

torbjorn.moen:

First of all Vistaprint is only my web-site host and is not the registrar of the domain.

That’s not what you said earlier:

torbjorn.moen:

it was registered through Vistaprint from their Norwegian web site.

There is no way around this. You have to make these changes at your registrar (the place where you bought your domain name).

While Cloudflare works well for many, it is not required for a website and email to work. In your case, you can certainly go back to using your old name servers, so you’d have to undo the name server change you did in the beginning.

I’m sorry, but there’s nothing else we can do until you work this out with Vistaprint.