Italian TIM provider seems to block connections to api.cloudflare.com

Hello folks, today I was writing some Python code that uses Cloudflare Images Upload service and I wanted to test it. I noticed that all my calls were timing out with an error like this (* are hiding the account number):

2021-10-28 17:49.09 [error    ] HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.cloudflare.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /client/v4/accounts/*******/images/v1/direct_upload (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x103735580>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 60] Operation timed out'))
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.cloudflare.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /client/v4/accounts/****/images/v1/direct_upload (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x103735580>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 60] Operation timed out'))

so I did some tests with mtr utility and in particular with this command: sudo mtr -n -T -P 443 api.cloudflare.com and here is what I get:

Please note that I’m using TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile) FTTC provider.

I then tried the same command, but connecting through PIA VPN service and the difference is appalling:

No packets loss at all. I of course re-tried my Python code while connected to the VPN and it worked without any issues!

This is all I’ve been able to discover so far. I’m not a networking expert, so there isn’t much else I can think about, but if you have any hint/ideas and there are other commands or tests I could try, please let me know.

Oh by the way… I of course tried to report this fault to my provider, but they tried to convince me there is something wrong in my device configuration…

Does anyone know what could be the problem and what is the best way to report it to the relevant people? Thanks!

1 Like

@matteo might use TIM, but probably not often for API calls if it’s a mobile data connection you’re talking about.

Hi @sdayman I’m talking about TIM FTTC (home fiber connection), not the mobile one.

2 Likes

@matteo does not even look at an Internet connection if it does not have a gbps suffix.

3 Likes

We are experiencing the same issue (TIM Business, Italy, FTTC).
Not only trying to connect with api.cloudflare.com but also with other websites managed by Cloudflare (proxed ones/Cloudflare network).

1 Like

I’m aware of the same issue packet loss between TIM/Telecom Italia/Sparkle and Cloudflare, but now I don’t have an mtr output to share with you from this Italian ISP :sweat_smile:

Testing with mtr we’ve experienced a 50% packet loss from TIM to Cloudflare websites.

Replying here as well (there is a thread on the Italian forum https://forum.fibra.click/d/24619-packet-loss-da-tim-verso-cloudflare), but it seems there is an issue on the hand-off between TIM and Sparkle (a transit provider, owned by TIM themselves), causing issues towards Cloudflare.

It’s unrelated to actually Cloudflare (although they might have a say in choosing the transit provider, even if not their choice completely).

If you have a TIM IP I can test against I can run traces from Cloudflare’s POPs.

I need to test my TIM Business connection, but haven’t been able to test as of right now.

update: my connection is fine.

TIM is the name, just to clarify, of the fixed access and mobile access provider. It used to be the mobile-only brand name, with Telecom Italia the fixed access one. Now it’s just TIM (they dropped the long form @a.grandi mentioned).

2 Likes

Same issue with two tim connections (first one is mobile connection, second is fiber to the cabinet)

1. Tim mobile connection
    Tim mobile connection
  2. Tim fttc
    Tim fttc
  3. if all the traffic goes over a vpn (made in a aruba’s vps - italian provider) all problems are gone:
    vpn
    Sorry for external link, but as new forum user, I could only upload one photo

Perhaps the problem has finally been resolved by TIM. Right now I don’t see any packet loss anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.