Is there any way to add a site with subdomain?

I have a site EX- example.com I have a requirement to add a new site dev.example.com

When i do that i got the error

Please ensure you are providing the root domain and not any subdomains

Is there any way to do that?

From the topic title, I am afraid you would still have to make sure your naked (main) domain like example.com nameservers are pointed to Cloudflare nameservers. To make use of Cloudflare services, you need to change the nameservers for your entire domain.

Furthermore, if you want to add only the sub-domain to Cloudflare, unfortunately that won’t work and you would have to add the root domain as you would encounter an warning/error like add the root domain at the first step of getting started with Cloudflare.

After you changed your nameservers, therefore you can add a new DNS record dev.example.com and any other at the DNS tab and make sure it’s :orange: proxied.

Therefore, at Cloudflare Dashboard on the DNS tab you could just switch off the proxy status :orange: to :grey: (DNS-only) for example.com and www.example.com DNS records, while keeping the proxy :orange: enabled only for your sub-domain for example like dev.example.com or any other, if that is the case as if you want only sub-domain to use Cloudflare services while the naked (root) domain example.com not.

In a better case, I would suggest having your naked domain :orange: proxied too, why not? :wink:

There is a possible way, you could sign up for a Business (or Enterprise) Plan and then use Cloudflare in a CNAME setup, as described in below article:

From this point, for any further need you would manage your DNS records at one place, Cloudflare.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.