Is it possible to have 'www' resolve to subdomain?

Not a networking person by any stretch of the imagination, so I’m not sure I’m asking this question correctly:

Is it possible to have ‘www.b2b.drinkrebellious.com’ resolve to ‘b2b.drinkrebellious.com’? We think new customers might include the ‘www’ out of habit.

If it’s possible, can you let me know where I can find specific directions?

Thanks!

You could create a redirect, but the first issue is that Cloudflare’s edge certificate doesn’t go that deep:

If you wish to proceed, you can then do something like this:

1 Like

@sdayman Thanks for your quick response.

Some additional info: The domain drinkrebellious.com is for our B2C store on Shopify. The b2b subdomain is a WP site hosted on WPengine. The A record is for drinkrebellious.com. There are CNAME records for ‘b2b’, which point to WPengine, and ‘www’, which points to Shopify.

The b2b CNAME is proxied and the Proxy Status for www is ‘DNS Only’.

My hunch is that because we have things split this way, we can’t have www.b2b.drinkrebellious.com resolve (but I may not know what I’m talking about).

It doesn’t much matter where everything is, except that your DNS is here. So you’ll need a DNS record called just www.b2b (because the domain is added on automatically). If it’s set to :orange:, then you’ll need that ACM certificate. If it’s set to :grey:, then your server will need to do the redirect instead of the Page Rule in the tutorial.

All in all, I don’t think it’s worth the effort to accommodate a ‘www’ prefix in front of a subdomain. People will either type in what they see, or they’ll follow an existing link.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.