Is Google making the 1.1.1.1 DNS load purposefully slower?

dash-dns
dns-resolver
#1

So I have had a couple problems downloading apps from the Google Play Store and watching YouTube videos recently. I noticed it mostly on my phone but also some on my desktop. I have 100mbit/s download so usually stuff loads in instances but when I tried downloading an app earlier it took ages even loading a couple kilobytes and when I switch to mobile data it loaded concideably faster. I observed the same with watching videos on YouTube, where they would load for longer times when I decide to watch and click on it, but would then work ok for the rest of the video. The website and interface still loads quickly and it is only when I play a video that it gets slow. I would try turning of 1.1.1.1, however I entered the settings into my router and it is rather cumbersome to change them. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

#2

Sounds more like a bandwitdth issue on your circuit or bad wifi connection.
All 1.1.1.1 does is to resolve domains faster than other DNS providers. Once resolved the connection will be established between your PC and the site directly.

#3

Possibly an EDNS issue with DNS lookups resolving (in the absence of geo information) to a default host which is farther away and has a higher latency.

#4

Google is certainly petty in this regard, they could be intentionally degrading service in this situation. They’re known to restrict sites to only Chrome when they actually work fine in other browsers (if you spoof the header), and degrade YouTube in both Edge and Firefox (which they deny, but it has been observed multiple times and only gets fixed once there is publicity in the media.

I doubt Google actively slows users in this case, but rather it wouldn’t surprise me if they are referring queries from 1.1.1.1 to less than optimal CDN nodes as a way to punish Cloudflare’s users because Cloudflare doesn’t leak EDNS subnet information.

In my own case I run a local resolver, I am experimenting with forwarding queries to 1.1.1.1, but I forward queries to Google’s infrastructure directly to 8.8.8.8 instead. Sadly this is not a particularly easy configuration if you aren’t already familiar with running your own resolver.

#5

Well. Tried both now to compare and there’s no
difference :thinking:

#6

Currently it is returning the same IP ranges from 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8,
which means Google can’t trivially “accidentally” change behaviour.