Is cloudflare stream 30 FPS playback exactly 30 fps or 29.97 fps?

The help documentation (cut and past at bottom) states all content above 30fps is re-encoded to 30fps, while lower fps is kept the same.

Please may I check that Cloudflare really means 30 FPS when they say 30 FPS and they are not using the term 30fps when they are actually using 29.97fps. I ask because often 29.97 is referred to as 30 fps and visa versa.

I can shoot at 29.97 or 30 fps and keep the correct fps all the way through post. I want to use 30fps to match a multiple of most common device refresh rates 60hz and remove micro stutters for smooth slow product rotations.

But if I use 30fps and cloudflare mean 29.97 when they say 30fps, then I assume the 30fps will be encoded to 29.97 and it will skip one frame every 33-34 sec.

So is it exactly 30FPS or 29.97FPS?

"Cloudflare Stream supports video file uploads for any FPS, however videos will be re-encoded for 30 FPS playback. If the original video file has a frame rate lower than 30 FPS, we will re-encode at the original frame rate.

If the frame rate is variable we will drop frames (e.g. if there are more than 1 frames within 1/30 seconds, we will drop the extra frames within that period)."

That’s an interesting question. A Google Search turns up nothing for 29.97 on Cloudflare Stream, but a ton of results for 30fps Cloudflare Stream. I suggest you open a support ticket and get their official answer and then let us know. Thanks!

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

Hey @user5387!

If you upload at any frame equal to or less than 30 (30, 29.97, 24 and so on) Stream will keep the original frame rate. If you upload at any frame rate higher than 30, Stream will drop frames.

Exactly 30FPS will get through Stream without any dropped frames.