Is cloudflare stream 30 FPS playback exactly 30 fps or 29.97 fps?

The help documentation (cut and past at bottom) states all content above 30fps is re-encoded to 30fps, while lower fps is kept the same.

Please may I check that Cloudflare really means 30 FPS when they say 30 FPS and they are not using the term 30fps when they are actually using 29.97fps. I ask because often 29.97 is referred to as 30 fps and visa versa.

I can shoot at 29.97 or 30 fps and keep the correct fps all the way through post. I want to use 30fps to match a multiple of most common device refresh rates 60hz and remove micro stutters for smooth slow product rotations.

But if I use 30fps and cloudflare mean 29.97 when they say 30fps, then I assume the 30fps will be encoded to 29.97 and it will skip one frame every 33-34 sec.

So is it exactly 30FPS or 29.97FPS?

"Cloudflare Stream supports video file uploads for any FPS, however videos will be re-encoded for 30 FPS playback. If the original video file has a frame rate lower than 30 FPS, we will re-encode at the original frame rate.

If the frame rate is variable we will drop frames (e.g. if there are more than 1 frames within 1/30 seconds, we will drop the extra frames within that period)."

That’s an interesting question. A Google Search turns up nothing for 29.97 on Cloudflare Stream, but a ton of results for 30fps Cloudflare Stream. I suggest you open a support ticket and get their official answer and then let us know. Thanks!

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.