Is Cloudflare opened country blocking to free customers?

Is it now available freely?

Country Blocking CF Managed Accounts

If you are referring to IP Firewall then yes. It is free to all plans.

What exactly do you mean by “now available freely”? Adding countries to the firewall has been possible for quite some time, however with the free plan you can challenge them at max, not block them.

Yes, apparently it is now possible to block as well.

No, you can block them. But you guys should wait for an official announcement

firewallaccessrules.api.not_entitled.country_block (Code: 10016)

You now can?

Edit: Ohh, you do :slight_smile:

This is great news.

Yeah, great news. :slight_smile:
But again: wait for an official announcement. I guess there will be one soon.

I’m pretty sure this is a bug, but I’m checking to confirm. We think challenging is a better solution than outright blocking by country, but an exception was made for Enterprise.

Depends on the use case. For websites it’s better to challenge the visitor to avoid humans being blocked. :slight_smile: I have a Nextcloud instance which I definitely don’t want to be accessed from several countries. Though almost 100% connected directly to the IP address.

Let’s hope it’s not a bug :laughing:

I’d second that. I believe I’d agree that in nine out of ten cases challenging should be the way to go, but there is always the one case where you actually want to really block access from a country - and here, that feature really comes very much in handy.

Fingers crossed as well its not a bug :crossed_fingers:

Outright blocking a country is exceptionally useful when you are subject
to an embargo against that country and therefore prohibited from selling
to them or supporting them.

Since it can be trivially implemented by workers or the primary web
server, it seems ideal to make this easily available to all Cloudflare
users rather than making non-technical users (Free plan obviously
attracts a lot of these!) stumble through workers.

I’m told that this is a bug and the functionality will revert back to how it was. I don’t have an ETA on when, but any Access Rules that are created in the interim should automatically convert from BLOCK to CHALLENGE.

Edited to change WAF rules to Access Rules

Thanks for clarification. But: Just WAF or IP as well? @ryan :smirk:

You got me :wink: . Should have said Access Rules. Just under the IP Firewall section.

Sandra why have you just accused me of blocking bots when I’ve not and then just closed the thread, a complaint has gone in regards your behaviour which disgusts me.

First I have to explain that blocking a country doesn’t block the bots and provide proof and then you accuse me of blocking something I need, THAT IS AN APPALLING ABUSE OF YOUR MODERATING POWERS

Blocking is only available on enterprise plans. On all other plans below they only get challenged.
Possible that there is an expection for known bots like Google or Yahoo. But they all can be blocked or restricted with robots.txt

Spamming the forum doesn’r resolve a problem you might have with a user or mod. Just saying.
Cloudflare staff is around here as well and will take appropiate action if neccessary if they see abuse or bullying or something like that.

Your threadS got closed as the topic was exhausted and your hostile responses were a clear sign you did not want to engage in a discussion but just vent and that is not the purpose of this community. Dont make me quote you please. For the fourth or fifth time, contact support if you have an issue. The community is obviously not the right place for you, as you pointed out yourself at the very beginning.

Now Mark you’ve hit something there unlike Sandra who was just abusing her moderating powers. I’ve been a customer since day one and yes I was able to block countries but recently say the last few weeks I noticed they all reverted to challenged and this is around the time I started having problems with the bots.

Now since then I unchallenged United States but bots still show as 403 unless I pause CF completely

EDIT: And please Sandra stop stalking me, I need help from someone that knows and doesn’t abuse moderating powers, a complaint has already gone in about you

If you show proper and civilised behaviour no one will close anything.

So you are on an Enterprise plan I presume then.

Now Mark you’ve hit something there unlike Sandra who was just abusing her moderating powers. I’ve been a customer since day one and yes I was able to block countries but recently say the last few weeks I noticed they all reverted to challenged and this is around the time I started having problems with the bots.

Now since then I unchallenged United States but bots still show as 403 unless I pause CF completely

EDIT: Sorry Mark had to repost it due to you know what. Like I said I’ve been a customer from day one and yes I could block countries in the early days before it was changed but as you can see this women doesn’t have a clue & wont stop her crusade against me for outing her