I submitted a support request over 4 hours ago and have not received any response. Your PHX system is experiencing 40% packet loss on several websites that use Cloudflare (not just mine).
From what I can tell, only users going thru the PHX system are affected. It appears OK from other locations I have tested.
Here’s some of the details…
40% packet loss on 22.214.171.124 (azvr.com)
I ran several packet loss tests (Pingplotter) and it appears you have a problem. Here are the the results of several tests (100 pings):
126.96.36.199 => 188.8.131.52 - 6% loss (with 56 byte packets)
184.108.40.206 => 220.127.116.11 - 33% loss (with 1000 byte packets)
18.104.22.168 => 22.214.171.124 - 42% loss (with 1400 byte packets)
When I ran similar tests from another location, the packet loss was minimal:
126.96.36.199 => 188.8.131.52 - 1% loss (with 56 byte packets)
184.108.40.206 => 220.127.116.11 - 2% loss (with 1000 byte packets)
When I ran the same tests to google.com, packet loss was usually 0%
I also noticed some packet loss on your upstream router 18.104.22.168