IPv6 Support Inquiry and Data Center Issue in Tunisia

Dear Cloudflare Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention an issue I’ve encountered regarding the IPv6 support and data routing for your services in Tunisia.

I have noticed that when accessing websites that support IPv6, my traffic is being routed to the Marseille data center instead of the one located closer to me in Tunisia. However, when I access websites that only support IPv4, my traffic correctly routes through the local Tunisian data center. This leads me to believe that the Cloudflare data center in Tunisia might be limited to IPv4 connectivity, which seems to affect the optimal routing and performance for IPv6-enabled websites.

Given that Tunisia now supports IPv6, I kindly request that you investigate and consider updating your network infrastructure in Tunisia to fully support IPv6. This enhancement would not only improve the performance and latency for users in Tunisia but also align with the global transition towards IPv6 adoption.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to your response. Please let me know if you require any further information or network diagnostics to assist with this issue.

Thank you for your time and support.

Where you are being routed to, depends on your ISP’s decisions, including their peering arrangements with Cloudflare, and whether these peering arrangements (if they have such) are done locally or far away.

If your provider from Tunisia does not want to peer with Cloudflare within Tunisia, and is only peering with Cloudflare in e.g. Marseille, France, then traffic from that ISP will be sent from Tunisia and to Cloudflare’s PoP in Marseille, France.

This one does make it sound great / somewhat more optimistic, as it may just be a configuration issue from your provider’s end.

I would reach out to your ISP’s NOC team, and ask them to check their peerings with Cloudflare, including make sure that they are running on both IPv4 and IPv6.

IPv4 and IPv6 are literally two different worlds, it isn’t technically impossible to peer only on one protocol, but not the other.

As “now” sound to indicate that it didn’t do before, and that it may be a new thing for them to do IPv6, as such, it could be something that is on your ISP’s road map to fix.

Looking at a network like e.g. AS37705 TOPNET, it appears like they are only connecting directly with Cloudflare over IPv4.

In regards to this, I see 9 different networks in Tunisia that appears to send out IPv6 routes to the Internet, but no mention of which specific one you’re seeing the issues with.

Yes exactly.

Maybe.

My network is AS37705 TOPNET which I am facing this issue with and I can connect via IPv4 and IPv6 to the Internet.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.