Investigate segmentation fault in cloudfare pages

Hi :smiley:

I try to deploy a gatsby website but I’m struggling with a segmentation fault:

18:44:57.878	/opt/build/bin/build: line 39:  1723 Segmentation fault      GATSBY_CPU_COUNT=2 gatsby build --verbose --log-pages
18:44:57.940	Failed: build command exited with code: 139
18:44:58.809	Failed: an internal error occurred

And it’s about all what I have :smiling_face_with_tear:

I did a lot of investigations around (versions, caching etc…) but it’s not really the point, I’m blind with this message.

Is there a way to get more details about the error by enabling any debug trace.

As far as I know, there is no option to run cloudfare pages locally (something more or less similar to act for GH actions).

I tried to emulate the cloudfare environment in a virtual machine but don’t reproduce the segfault.

Any tips to help me investigate (connect to a cloudfare page run, run close environment locally e.g docker image)?

Thank you

You can try making a NODE_OPTIONS environment variable (within the Pages project) with a value of --max-old-space-size=4096

If you wanted to try and reproduce it locally, you’d have to use gVisor with Kubernetes and use something like the Xenial build image from GitHub - netlify/build-image: This is the build image used for running automated builds

This isn’t going to be complete parity with the Pages build environments and is probably a lot more setup & effort than it’s worth - but the Pages team don’t really get much more information than you do about a segmentation fault.

If you can create a minimal reproducible example that’s always throwing a segmentation fault & share the repository here, they would be able to take a closer look.


Hello @KianNH and all :grin:

Thank you for this prompt and helpful response!

I tried already NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=4096" or even NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=8192" it does not help.

Following your answer, I traveled the difficult path and tried to reproduce with as much parity as possible. Here are what I tried to emulate Cloud Fare pages environment:

  • build in docker + netlify/build:xenial = OK
  • build in docker + gvisor + netlify/build:xenial = OK
  • build in docker + gvisor + netlify/build:xenial + --memory=2G = OOM Killed
  • build in docker + gvisor + netlify/build:xenial + --memory=3G = OK

I tested with some cgroup limits (but I don’t know what are the exact values in Cloud Fare pages) to see if limited memory can induce the problem but they produce well out of memory not segmentation fault.

I tried with and without using /opt/build-bin/build to check if it could come from this functions.

Since I suppose netlify is also using the same image, I tried in netlify:

  • build in netlify + netlify/build:focal = OK (but timeout later at Deploy site step)
  • build in netlify + netlify/build:xenial = OK (but timeout later at Deploy site step)

They use by default focal but you can configure to xenial where Cloud Fare only proposes xenial so I tested both.

I don’t know what to do more without access to faulty environment, I’m probably going to build the website elsewhere and only transfer to and serve from Cloud Fare pages.

I’m a bit out of ideas for now, I will maybe try with a smaller portion of the website (and/or a reduced set of modules) to see if I can have a green build and isolate the culprit.

If you have any other advice, please share :slight_smile:


I have a similar problem, My setup is Gatsby + Netlify CMS.

The build is failing and I can’t seem to get it to work.

I have it working sometimes. It is related to the images on my side. I found doing retry made it work. Sometimes I switch the build from gatsby build to yarn build and build, or vice versa and it works.

Not sure why this is happening, but my build times are also getting to 17 minutes, and my website is only 60 pages.

I am facing the same issue with astro-imagetools.

19:47:41.360    01:47:41 PM [build] Waiting for the astro-imagetools integration...
19:47:57.054    Segmentation fault
19:47:57.077    Failed: build command exited with code: 139