Intermittent Error 520, host says nothing in logs, Always Online off

The problem is intermittent, in only happens sometimes, seemingly randomly. Not just for me, for our visitors as well and they are on multiple browsers and platforms.

I have followed the tip you posted. the only thing I cannot provide are the HAR files since I cannot reproduce the error on demand.

Cheers!

1 Like

Calling in the infantry on this one: ticket number 2224284 @MoreHelp

Are there any remaining problems with error 520s on the free zones?

If not, what should I do next?

I too keep having this issue, i’m not sure why. But when i have this issue, i jsut need to login to cloudflare and the problem just mysteriously solved. What is the main issue?

I’m not sure what the issue is. That’s why I’m posting here.

Well, not necessarily related, but I upgraded my account to the Pro level to get some help from CloudFlare support, because they weren’t responding to the @MoreHelp tag, and I’ve had no errors since…

We have just received an update that the continued 520s do not look like a Cloudflare issue, as there was before. Cloudflare Status - Elevated 520 errors on Free Zones is now resolved.

If you are still receiving 520s, they are likely caused by an issue on your origin server. Please follow the guidance in the #CommunityTip and Support Center.

1 Like

I’m having 520 errors intermittently since Aug 27, 2021.
All 520 errors only from the Los Angeles cloudflare datacenter.
Anyone with the same issue?

I’ve been getting the same 520 errors described here and in other threads as well, I started noticing the error probably sometime in July.

Just like a lot of people have described, the Error 520 are intermittent, and I often get hit with the error with fast clicks.

I spent the past 4 days investigating the problem on our side, but the result is inconclusive. Nothing showed up in server logs, SSL all working, server load is pretty light and consistent with few months prior. I can’t even reproduce the error consistently. What’s going on Cloudflare?

Ray ID: 686d6a934c78fb98

fl=46f25
h=gigvvy.com
ip=118.82.164.174
ts=1630321288.918
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.159 Safari/537.36
colo=AKL
http=http/3
loc=NZ
tls=TLSv1.3
sni=plaintext
warp=off
gateway=off

My 520 errors are 100% from Los Angeles datacenter.
Ray IDs:

Ray ID: 686e4f336c0a5275
Ray ID: 686dfd4a5b76eb49
Ray ID: 686de999ad055214
Ray ID: 686d832afbcd0d34
Ray ID: 68662023caa2eb14
Ray ID: 686641c46fc2312e
Ray ID: 686641ca9b90312e
Ray ID: 686641cabbc5312e

Out of curiosity, where is your site hosted? I go through LAX and I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a 520 on any site.

The server is an EC2 located in the N. Virginia AWS datacenter (us-east-1 region). And it’s running HAProxy 2.4.3.

The errors are randomly, the major of requests works great. But the request that respond with a 520 errors, 100% of that requests came from the LAX cloudflare datacenter. All other CF datacenters works perfectly.

This start happening since Aug 27, 2021.

There are still 520 cases. We try to use different technologies and servers, such as PHP + nignx and asp.net + windows. In addition, our server is in Turkey. We try to put the server in Los Angeles, the United States. This problem does not appear at the moment

I can’t move all my servers to another datacenter. I think that this is a issue in the connection between CF Los Angeles datacenter and AWS us-east-1 region. But nobody from CF take the case :confused:

That’s certainly a good theory.

Did you open a ticket? If so, please post the ticket #.

I didn’t open a ticket because I’m using the free plan of CF. I can’t open tickets

You sure can. Email them from your account’s email address → support AT cloudflare DOT com

Ok, I’ll try that. Thank you!

1 Like

So, I’ve started getting some errors again, on the Pro plan. 520’s 521’s and 522’s but they are now pretty rare. Definitely not solved though.

Same issue-random 520 and page currently offline errors.

Same problem here, random 520 errors.

• Free CF account
  • I’m using a Digital Ocean droplet (ubuntu LTS + apache + php + managed mysql by DO) - NO wordpress
  • When the error occurs, apache doesn’t log the access (access.log or error.log)
  • The error response is much faster than the common server response
  • Refreshing the page solves the problem
  • The problem came back yesterday and it’s happening today.
1 Like