We are receiving 503 errors on our staging and production environments.
At first we thought this was due to a large number of connections from the same origin (a lot of connections are devices with sim cards), so we added bypass rules for rate limiting and “Essentially Off” marked out DDoS settings.
503 errors are still happening (see full response below). We noticed that about 18 hours ago an outage happened relating to intermittent 503 errors: Cloudflare Status.
It’s marked as solved but we suspect it is not solved yet for us or our regions.
Note: we are also trying to upgrade our account to increase the amount of monitoring and tools but there is a billing error (Code: 1292) we receive and no one is contacting us to resolve it. Can someone help us spend money on you??
t07:11:46:RECEIVED [HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 07:13:44 GMT Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Transfer-Encoding: chunked Connection: keep-alive X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN Referrer-Policy: same-origin Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0 Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:01 GMT CF-RAY: 6a4a1f9f49142056-AMS Server: cloudflare da0 <!DOCTYPE html> <!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie6 oldie" lang=] 07:11:46:WS KEY ERROR 07:11:47:KWH:ADRGREC[221,221]ERR[TO] 07:11:47:RECEIVED ["en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie7 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js ie8 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]--> <head> <title>Rate Limited</title> <meta charset="UTF-8" /> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome= ] 07:11:50:WS KEY ERROR 07:11:51:RECEIVED [ <p>Too many requests for X. Try again later.</p>1" />