Interaction between CloudFlare and cPanel, without plugin

Hi there,

Is it possible to use Cloudflare to front a domain that is managed via cPanel, without installing the Cloudflare cPanel plugin?

Presumably, the full DNS entry is run from Cloudflare in that situation, but then what happens when you make changes within cPanel that would normally modify the DNS, e.g. adding a sub-domain or enabling a feature that requires one or more additional DNS entries?

I assume the Cloudflare cPanel plugin means that these things work seamlessly, but what happens if the plugin is not available?

Note that I have not yet made any changes to my domain - I want to check whether a DNS switch will be safe before going ahead, and can’t find any info about using cPanel + Cloudflare without the special plugin.

Kind regards,

– Mark

Please re-open thread 20325

Absolutely! This is my preferred method. You don’t need to touch cPanel to get Cloudflare working for your domain. The simplified procedure is: 1) Add your domain name to your Cloudflare account. 2) Go to your domain registrar and change your name servers to the ones Cloudflare provides.

Hi @sdayman,

Thanks for the very speedy reply. Does that mean that there are additional steps when you make changes in cPanel, e.g. to add new sub-domains. I know cPanel adds a number of additional sub-sub-domains when this happens, to handle various services, so how would I ensure these are set up correctly?

– Mark

Yes, if you add subdomains, or make any other DNS changes in cPanel, you’ll have to make those changes in your Cloudflare DNS as well.

That’s fine if I am manually adding a sub-domain.

My concern is that I know cPanel automatically creates additional DNS records (most of the DNS records for my domain are not things I’ve explicitly set up) and I’m concerned that (a) cPanel will no longer be able to do this automatically; and (b) I will have no indication as to what additional records I need to add and therefore can’t do this manually, either.

cPanel doesn’t care what you do at Cloudflare. It will keep adding records as it sees fit.

As for manually updating your Cloudflare records, there really isn’t much to do. If you add a subdomain, you’ll remember pretty quickly that you need to add it to Cloudflare as well. It’s just a single entry.

cPanel doesn’t care what you do at Cloudflare. It will keep adding records as it sees fit.

Adding records to where? Does Cloudflare delegate some of the DNS lookup to the destination server?

For example, there is currently a ‘cpcontacts’ sub-domain defined on our main domain. I didn’t create that - I have no idea what it does, what it’s for and what the consequences would be if it wasn’t there. There are about 10 A records of this nature, plus a couple of CNAME records which I also didn’t create.

If cPanel is creating DNS records for its own purpose, how does this work when it no longer controls the DNS for the domain?

As for manually updating your Cloudflare records, there really isn’t much to do. If you add a subdomain, you’ll remember pretty quickly that you need to add it to Cloudflare as well. It’s just a single entry.

Agreed.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.