Integrate GraphQL Worker with KV storage?

Are there any examples of projects that integrate a graphql worker with KV storage?

Reference

Thanks

I wouldn’t recommend it, the 6-max connection still applies and it takes upp a full workers code quota ~1MB large. It takes some time to even execute and you’ll get near that 50ms easily.

2 Likes
  1. I wonder what the difference is between KV storage and Workers KV
  2. I wish Kristian Freeman had discussed data options in his 2019 blog post. It would be great to see an updated version of this post.
  3. I wonder if people are bypassing GraphQL for the new Postgres REST API for some use cases?

Point 1
https://www.velotio.com/engineering-blog/cloudflare-workers-and-cloudflare-kv-store

Workers alone can’t be used to make anything complex without any persistent storage, that’s where Workers KV comes into the picture. Workers KV as it sounds, is a low-latency, high-volume, key-value store that is designed for efficient reads. Workers KV is only available to paid users of Cloudflare.

Point 2
08/14/2019 by Kristian Freeman

Building a GraphQL server on the edge with Cloudflare Workers

Point 3
https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/tutorials/postgres

Many applications for the web are built using industry standards like PostgreSQLOpen external link, an open-source SQL database. Instead of directly connecting their user interface to that database, it is common for developers to use a backend server to format and proxy API requests to that database. Rather than building a back-end server for this task, you will make use of Cloudflare Workers and recent improvements to the PostgreSQL developer experience—namely, PostgRESTOpen external link: a REST API built specifically for PostgreSQL. By doing this, you will handle API requests to your database without needing to maintain another piece of infrastructure. In this tutorial, you will explore how to integrate with PostgREST and PostgreSQL using Workers.

1. There’s only one KV - but you can use it via API or inside of Workers.
  2. Same limits apply.
  3. GraphQL and PostgREST isn’t the same thing, PostgREST is just a proxy to make calls directly to a postgres database on your origin server. GraphQL is a data fetching and caching layer that make requests to any existing REST back-end.
1 Like
  • Use Cloudflare Workers KV to store millions of tests that can be quickly run from Workers anywhere in the world.

Cloudflare Workers KV provides access to a secure low latency key-value store at all of the data centers in Cloudflare’s global network. Developers can use Cloudflare Workers and Workers KV to augment existing applications or to build entirely new applications on top of Cloudflare’s global cloud network. Workers KV scales seamlessly to support applications serving dozens or millions of users.

Here is an interesting project:

This is a very simple GraphQL API built on top of Cloudflare Workers KV. You may query and mutate items in a single Workers KV namespace by sending application/graphql format POST requests.

It seems possible to exceed the 1GB storage limit. It just costs extra - $0.50 GB/month. I wonder how competitive this pricing is.

WHAT’S INCLUDED

Included for free
  • 1 GB - Key-value storage space
  • 100,000 - Key-value reads per day
  • 1,000 - Key-value writes per day
  • 1,000 - Key-value deletes per day
  • 1,000 - Key-value lists per day
Included with Workers Paid
  • 1 GB - Key-value storage space
  • 10M - Key-value reads per month
  • 1M - Key-value writes per month
  • 1M - Key-value deletes per month
  • 1M - Key-value lists per month
Additional usage
  • $0.50 GB/month - Additional storage
  • $0.50/ 1M - Additional key-value reads
  • $5/ 1M - Additional key-value writes
  • $5/ 1M - Additional key-value deletes
  • $5/ 1M - Additional key-value lists

The limits I’m talking about doesn’t have anything to do with storage, it’s about how much data 1 single worker request can process.

1 Like

I am trying to find the 1MB on their website.

Key Features

Accessible from all 250 Cloudflare locations

Supports values up to 25 MB

Supports keys up to 512 Bytes

Read and write from Cloudflare Workers

API to write to Workers KV from 3rd party applications

Uses Cloudflare’s robust caching infrastructure

Set arbitrary TTLs for values

Integrates with Workers Preview

Yes, you can process 25MB of JSON, but you have to use Workers Unbound (No CPU-limit). But that means you’ll have to pay for the traffic + CPU-time that you use.

Keep in mind, parsing 25MB of data doesn’t mean that it will consume 25MB of RAM, you’ll likely consume much more than the 128MB available in each request if you parse that amount of JSON or XML - just assigning that big of a string to a variable will likely cause you to run out of RAM.

What you CAN do, is store a 25MB file in KV and then stream that as a response directly to the browser (Without processing at all) - that will consume very little CPU-time.

1 Like

Workers Unbound seems a promising alternative to AWS lambda. Unfortunately, I don’t see any tutorials. It would be good to get credits to be able to experiment and see how much a simple app costs.

Workers Unbound is like our classic Cloudflare Workers (now referred to as Workers Bundled), but for applications that need longer execution times. We are extending our CPU limits to allow customers to bring all of their workloads onto Workers, no matter how intensive.

07/27/2020 by Nancy Gao

Running a smallish Worker 40K times for 5 seconds each, cost under 1$. I’m sure you can afford it

1 Like

https://unbound-pricing.ceru.dev/

1 Like

Ok. So if I understand you correctly, I can use GraphQL with Workers KV as long as I am prepared to pay for Workers Unbound.

Your link to Cerulean’s unofficial Workers pricing calculator is very helpful. Thanks!

Unbound cost calculator

Built by Cerulean, unofficial Workers pricing calculator

:cloud: Explaining the costs

Unbound is a bit more complex to calculate costs for and so I have built this tool to help people get a better understanding of the pricing model.

:red_car: Requests: First 1 million requests are free, these are counted if they hit your Worker. With DDoS protection, any requests rejected by Cloudflare will NOT count towards this number. Even if your Worker has an error, it will count towards this number.

:ram: Memory: First 400,000-GBs is free. Each Worker you execute uses 128mb of memory, this is not changable yet. You are charged per millisecond the Worker runs.

:zap: Egress (Bandwidth): First 5GB free, costs $0.045 per Gigabyte sent to/from your Worker.

1 Like

If you can live with a maximum of 6 concurrent connections (more requests will be queued) and only load data below RAM limit, then yes, you can. Keep in mind though that the GraphQL server for workers are at JUST below the max limit of 1MB per script. So it will consume a considerate amount of CPU and RAM just to boot up the request. I haven’t tested it myself, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t take 1-2 seconds before it would return responses.

The highest cost of all of this is usually KV writes, keep that in check and also the fact that you cannot update 1 KV value more than 1 time per second (not queued, simply denied).

1 Like

A reference for the 6 concurrent connections limit

https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/platform/limits#number-of-scripts

Simultaneous open connections

While handling a request, each Worker script is allowed to have up to six connections open simultaneously. The connections opened by the following API calls all count toward this limit:

Once a Worker has six connections open, it can still attempt to open additional connections. However, these attempts are put in a pending queue — the connections won’t actually be initiated until one of the currently open connections has closed. Since earlier connections can delay later ones, if a Worker tries to make many simultaneous subrequests, its later subrequests may appear to take longer to start.

If the system detects that a Worker is deadlocked on open connections — for instance, if the Worker has pending connection attempts but has no in-progress reads or writes on the connections that it already has open — then the least-recently-used open connection will be canceled to unblock the Worker. If the Worker later attempts to use a canceled connection, an exception will be thrown. These exceptions should rarely occur in practice, though, since it’s uncommon for a Worker to open a connection that it doesn’t have an immediate use for.

Yes, they are put in queue.

1 Like

More on the RAM limit. The TransformStream API seems to offer a workaround.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/platform/limits#number-of-scripts

Memory

Only one Workers instance runs on each of the many global Cloudflare edge servers. Each Workers instance can consume up to 128MB of memory. Use global variables to persist data between requests on individual nodes; note however, that nodes are occasionally evicted from memory.

If a Worker processes a request that pushes the Worker over the 128MB limit, the Cloudflare Workers runtime may cancel one or more requests. To view these errors, as well as CPU limit overages, go to Workers Open external link on the Cloudflare dashboard > Manage Workers > select the Worker you would like to investigate > scroll down to Invocation Statuses and examine Exceeded Resources .

Use the TransformStream API to stream responses if you are concerned about memory usage. This avoids loading an entire response into memory.

So far I’ve yet to see examples of someone using the TransformStream API on Workers, except for a few posts that kind-of-work but probably doesn’t.

But yes, the HTMLRewriter uses this, so it definitely works.

The problem isn’t to stream the data, that’s easy, it’s when to know how to parse chunks. Let’s say you want to parse JSON, how do you know that you have a chunk that contains valid JSON, so you can parse it? You can look for line-breaks, if it’s a JSONL file, but what if the response is a string without line-breaks? Same goes for XML or HTML.

TransformStream is definitely possible on workers and given the memory limitations, necessary in some cases. Ignore the comment about it not working on Workers, I run almost a hundred thousand requests a day through one of my async TransformStream workers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.