Inherited a site with cloudflare

Hello,

I have used Cloudflare sparingly over the years, and have usually been able to turn to my hosting company for assistance, as they provide Cloudflare to customers. But this is different in that I am starting out as a web designer, and am running into issues modifying a site I was tasked to redesign an existing site. The site has gone offline a few times when I have modified it, and sure enough I am getting Cloudflare error messages for the site. I do not have any information regarding Cloudflare, as the owner has next to no IT knowledge. He just wants SSL added to the site, and wants aspects of his site changed. The only thing I can see within the site on the backend that references Cloudflare is Wordfence and W3 Cache. I do not tend to work with either, and can find no option to turn these aspects off temporarily. I have tried deactivating those plugins, but still run into the same issues. I need to create a page rule for a plugin to determine if the reason I can not run it is because of a conflict with Cloudflare. Not having any sort of login information, because the owner of the site does not have any information regarding Cloudflare (he actually requested to have it setup, and didn’t know he already had it running on his site). At this point, what options do I have to create a page rule, in Cloudflare to determine if what I am encountering is a Cloudflare issue?

Wow a bunch of problems.
But with this infos its hard to help.

1. What Error exactly do you get from CF (Error 403,503,500?)
  2. Is anything in the Log of the Server?
  3. Without access to the CF Dashboard you can not set up any CF PageRules
  4. Sounds like you are working on a Wordpress Page? (Yeah I hate Wordpress)

I for myself think: setting up PageRules will not solve the problems by its roots!
First pls tell us more about the Error you are getting.

Changes on the page itself should not take the page down! Changes related to the setup or SSL can take it down. But then again we need the Error to help you

Thanks for your assistance.

1. If I remember correctly the error was 512
  2. The error log is full of read data timeout errors and Access denied with code 412 errors
  3. That’s what I was afraid of.
  4. Yes, it’s WordPress

It is quite possible that it isn’t a CF issue, I’m just trying to eliminate all possibilities. I think it may be an issue with the client’s server. He’s on shared hosting, and I have a feeling this is more of a memory issue than CF. Been trying to get him to move over to another hosting company, their support and service sucks, but it’s only $35 a year, so it’s more of an economical thing.

Hi @vmr907,

I suspect maybe a 521?

A 521 error happens when Cloudflare is unable to make a TCP connection to your origin server. Review the suggestions in this Community Tip for Quick Fix Ideas.

You can always :search: #CommunityTip and the error code for details on the error.

Just do what @domjh wrote.

Additionally you can simply test if this issue is related to CloudFlare by changing CloudFlare into Development mode, but you cant even do so as of the lack of login data.

1. When CloudFlare is set up, who pointed it to the Server?
  2. Is it pointing to the Servers IP?
  3. Can you reach the Server by bypassing CloudFlare?
    curl -ko /dev/null --resolve [###DOMAIN###]:[###PORT###]:[###IP###] -H ‘Cache-Control: no-cache’ -s -w "Connect: %{time_connect} TTFB: %{time_starttransfer} Total time: %{time_total} \n"

[###DOMAIN###] replace with domain
[###PORT###] replace with 443
[###IP###] replace with origin IP!

1. if you get an error now, which one?
  2. anyway I think this is not related to CloudFlare but to your Server