Incorrect DNS?

Hi people I have a small problem andbut I want to set a prefix in front of my domain but somehow it doesn’t do the setting or I still can’t get to the desired page

By any chance, does that prefix end with a dot (.)?

No, it doesn’t.

Can you show us your settings (redact IPs in screenshot)?

Here 1: https://gyazo.com/d170b73a79bbb47cbb925476bcc018ff
Here 2: https://gyazo.com/deacfd3515ce3f2fe277b32f354431c6

Resolves just fine for me.

$ dig +short @1.1.1.1 _test._tcp.redox-xo.cf SRV
1 1 8085 redox-xo.cf.

Whats the issue?

1 Like

Somehow the DNS entry doesn’t work i actually wanted to set a prefix at my old domain it worked without problems like in the screenshots

What does not work? It resolves fine as I have shown. What prefix are you referring to? What do you actually want to achieve?

so I want to put a prefix in front of my domain so I can set up a forum. But with, unfortunately, it does not solve itself at all on https://gyazo.com/9367f4f3f4829d5ae005e30972ed30e4
The full URL should be test.redox-xo.cf and point to port 8085

What you configured is an SRV record. That wont work the way you want it.

You will need to configure an A record - and if you want port 8085 you need to make sure you are not proxying it over Cloudflare (:grey: and not :orange:, hence none of the performance and security features) as that port does not work on Cloudflare.

i already have an A-Record but i just want to put a prefix in front of it like e.g. Forum and at that time that was possible with an SRV-record. i have a server on which two webservers run on different ports one is the homepage and the other is the forum

I really dont know what you mean by prefix. You’d need to provide an example.

SRV records wont allow “prefixes” however any more than regular A records do. Particularly if you are talking about a web context, you do not need to bother with SRV records as they are not used in this context.

So I rented the domain redox-xo.cf I have a server on which 2 webservers run one on port 80 and one on port 8085. The server on port 80 should be addressed with the URL “redox-xo.cf” which works quite well and the port 8085 should be addressed with the URL “monitor.redox-xo.cf” and I can’t write a port into an A-Record

Simply create an additional record for “monitor” which is either an A record pointing to the same IP address or a CNAME pointing to “redox-xo.cf”. Subsequently you can access it via monitor.redox-xo.cf:8085. Though make sure the record is set to :grey: and not :orange:.

Well if I enter “redox-xo.cf:8085” then it works without entering but I don’t want to specify the port that the users shouldn’t have to enter because that’s annoying too

That you cant avoid.

At best you could write a custom worker script which manually proxies requests to that port, but that would be pricey.

:wave: @onkelplay,

An SRV record isn’t read/used by browsers to determine what port they should try to access a website on. So specifying that won’t work. Probably better that you should configure a reverse proxy that listens on 80/443 and directs the requests for the sites to their appropriate port on that machine.
example:

-OG

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.