Incorrect DNS records added to existing site when adding new site

I’ve seen several reports in the community relating to incorrect DNS records being created when adding a new website to Cloudflare. I’ve just had a similar problem but with a couple of significant differences. Here’s what happened:

1. I’ve had a site setup in Cloudflare on a Pro plan for several years - lets call it abc. DNS is managed in Cloudflare.
  2. I recently added a new site on a free plan to my account - let’s call it xyz. This site had no existing DNS records with the previous DNS provider.
  3. When I added xyz, I received a notification saying that new DNS records would be added to it. I thought this was odd because I knew the domain had no DNS but it wasn’t being used for anything so I went ahead.
  4. Instead of adding new records to xyz - my new domain - 25 records were added to abc - my original domain. Because some of these records were A records, this immediately caused abc to fail.

I can see no reason why this should have been the case, but I thought I’d raise it here to see if anyone had experienced anything similar or if there was any legitimate reason why this could have happened.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Would you mind sharing the domain names you’ve added? If you don’t feel comfortable sharing them here, would you mind submitting a ticket with us so we can take a closer look at this?

Also, you’ve mentioned that you have seen several reports in the community relating to incorrect DNS records being created when adding a new website to Cloudflare. Can you please share some of them here?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @Lili84
There is already a ticket for this: 3287320
That has all of the details, including links to the other reports in the community that I was referring to.
Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.