Inconsistent behaviour in custom host names for saas

As for any users using Cloudflare custom hostname for SAAS, I want my customers to use custom domains to point to my site.

My application have a domain acme.com. I need all my clients to use custom domain by simply adding a CNAME record to acme.com in their corresponding DNS provider.

The fallback origin in custom hostname section is set to acme.com where my application lives. acme.com is a cloudflare worker (with a hello world function) & is working fine as expected.

In all of the below cases, the CNAME record ({ DOMAIN / SUBDOMAIN / @ } CNAME acme.com) is first added, the appropriate DCV delegation
values are added to acme.com's DNS records successfully (before adding custom hostname) & validation option is the default (text). All requests are processed through Cloudflare API.

1. When a customer “Alice” adds her domain alice.com as a custom hostname, the certificate status & hostname status are almost immediately “active”. In this case alice.com is already managed by cloudflare. All seems good here.

2. When another customer “Tom” adds his domain tom.com as a custom hostname, the hostname status is “active”, but certificate status shows “pending” and asks to add TXT record to validate the same. In this case tom.com is NOT managed by Cloudlflare (instead namecheap).

Is this the expected behaviour? Do I need to ask my customer to add these TXT records also? Or will it get activated after some time, like how many hours/days?

1. Similarly if “Jack” wants to add his subdomain which is already managed by cloudflare sub.jack.com, the hostname status is “active”, but certificate status shows “pending”
    and asks to add TXT record to validate the same. But taking sub.jack.com in the browser already works! May be because its proxied via cloudflare (the orange cloud button is on)!

Is there some solid way to use custom hostnames for my clients/customers where they only need to add a CNAME record to their DNS provider dashboard & it simply works like in most of the SAAS providers out there, rather than adding or validating more DNS records?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.