Importing from another DNS provider

I am importing records from another provider. Everything went pretty smoothly except SRV records. The current provider has a record for a sip federation. The import for that record failed so I decided to recreate in CF. The issue seems to be, in CF, that protocol is required, whereas it is not at the other provider. So when I create the new record I use the @ for the root, give it a service name etc. etc. after record creation in CF the name now has a ._tls tagged to the end of the name where as the other provider does not. I believe that has to do with the protocol (required) in CF where it is not required in the other provider.
Basically I am wondering if the extra characters at the end of the name will break communications with the online.lync.com services

Well, the format of SRV records generally is

[SERVICE].[PROTOCOL].[NAME]

So the protocol is pretty much mandatory and should not be omitted.

For example, the following is an SRV record exported from Cloudflare

_service._tcp.test.domain.com.	1	IN	SRV	0 0 0 domain.com.

Would you have an example of what you were trying to import? I’d assume your provider simply generated an invalid Bind file.

I do
Name
_sipfederationtls
.xxxxxxx.com.
Priority
Weight
Port
Host
sipfed.online.lync.com.
TTL

Sorry should have omitted the asterisk as they signify “required”

If that says

_sipfederationtls.xxxxxxx.com.

it is missing the protocol and specifies the protocol as part of the service name, which does suggest

That should be _sipfederation._tls.xxxxxxx.com.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.