Images are resized even though Polish is disabled

Hi there,

I am using Cloudflare Pages to host my static website. I noticed that CF automatically resizes 2048x2048 image to 1920x1920, response includes this header

cf-bgj: resize:1920,h2pri

However both Polish and Image resize are not enabled(it says I have to upgrade), so I am not sure if there is any way to disable this behavior?

Domain: https://pino.games
Exact resource that’s being resized: Link

I found that part in the Polish docs, which seems like the cause.

Polish creates and caches a WebP version of the image and delivers it to the browser if the Accept header from the browser includes WebP and the compressed image is significantly smaller than the lossy or lossless compression.

But again, Polish should be disabled for my account, as I am on free plan. Am I missing something?

That’s certainly an interesting twist. Pages might have this enabled to save resources, but that’s not always a good thing.

Open a ticket and make sure to let them know Pages is altering your images and you can’t disable that feature. Please post the ticket number here so staff can keep an eye on it.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

2 Likes

Ticket #2131337

1 Like

Image compression: Since images represent some of the largest types of content we serve, serving them efficiently can have great impact on performance. To improve efficiency, we now use Polish to compress your images, and serve fewer bytes over the wire. When possible, we’ll also serve a WebP version of your image (and AVIF too, coming soon).

Part of today’s announcement on Pages GA: Cloudflare Pages is now Generally Available

2 Likes

See also:

Device-based resizing: To make users’ experiences even smoother, especially on less reliable mobile devices, we want to make sure we’re not sending large images that will only get previewed on a small screen. Our new optimization will appropriately resize the image based on whether the device is mobile or desktop.

So much new I can’t keep up. :smiley:

1 Like

hah. These are very cool features, but would be nice to have a way to opt out :sweat_smile:

In my case, I am hosting a HTML5 game that makes use of texture atlases that group all images into one, to reduce number of requests. Any resizing to the image basically breaks the game, as parsed textures will be misplaced.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up/ use case. I’ve passed along a feature request to our development team to consider. Not currently a way to change this behavior unfortunately.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.