Image Resizing - billing estimate

We’re considering purchasing Image Resizing - but want to understand the potential billing we’re likely to incur. Can someone suggest how to estimate this, e.g. from the Analytics > Performance data?

Thanks.

Hi @accounts43,
Image Resizing is 50,000 monthly resizing requests included with Pro, Business. $9 each per additional 50,000 resizing requests.

Thanks - yes, I know the pricing schedule. But how do I get an understanding of the number of resizing requests the site will need? We’ve have a few months of Cloudflare Analytics data, so can you tell me which figure(s) in the Performance page I can use to estimate?

I’m looking for an answer to the same question. Did you ever get one?

No, this pretty simple request was ignored by @Laurie and I never got a response.

@accounts43,
It was not ignored there is no way for me to give you any kind of accurate estimate as I have no way of knowing how many images are 1 in your site and 2 would be using the image resizing.

1 Like

I’m not asking for you to estimate. My follow up asked “how do I get an understanding of the number of resizing requests the site will need? We’ve have a few months of Cloudflare Analytics data, so can you tell me which figure(s) in the Performance page I can use to estimate?”

Hi @accounts43 at the moment there is not an automated way to answer your questions, but I think it’s a great idea to improve an estimating tool our dash and have noted that to my colleagues on the Analytics team. I can see if would be difficult to estimate given the estimate varies by the number of images on your site, resulting traffic, by what device, and what images benefit by how much from image resizing. At least.

From that you should be able to get to a reasonable idea of what images are being served and how much that is costing you. In addition, you’ll most likely need data from a number of sources, Cloudflare dash as well as google analytics and our billing.

The Performance tab in the Analytics app will give you an idea of Content Type Breakdown and you’ll be able to see images as a portion of that. Next, I’d look at google analytics to see if you can find details about the images being requested and device traffic. I guess I’d look at how that traffic affects the bandwidth expenses you’re incurring.

Finally, I guess you’d need to look at those images to see if Image Resizing will help.

This sounds like a lot of excel work and I’d really love to see an easy buyers guide or even easier in-dash summary estimator. Given what we have, I’d probably just spend $60, upgrade to the pro plan for 3 months, see the effect on my bandwidth bill and keep the plan or go back to no resizing. I really love :abacus: excel as much as the next person, but know I’d burn $500 in my time for something I could find out a lot more precisely for the cost of a $20 - $60 experiment.

3 Likes

Thanks. That may well be the only way - for now - to find out. Nonetheless, if Cloudflare can bill for the usage then, by definition, the data exist and should be available for client analytics.

1 Like

Thank you and agree, but billing is after the fact, that’s easy. Forecasting is difficult. Tea leaves, best guesses, historical patterns, researched assumptions, experiments help before the fact. Only part of the forecast answer is in the dash, site image content, device mix consuming which images, which images can benefit from the feature, by how much, current bandwidth overages. I imagine there a whole lot of other variables that affect the bill at the end of the month, any estimate is a best guess. Experiments help improve the odds of guessing correctly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.