If Cloudflare is registrar how to change NS to another Cloudflare NS?

Having tested NS multiple ways, they are the original provided, I know they are CF servers. According to CF docs my next step is to change them to different CF nameservers. Searching failing as yet to provide guidance on how to do this.

Scenario: Outside server hosts my CF registered domain. Cloudflare is the registrar. Steps outlined in Cloudflare documentation lead to two new different nameservers which I am encouraged to use. How? I have yet to find the way to change the nameservers. I can see their names. I am shocked I still am stymied, after hours of searching, for such a simple and obvious thing.

This is not my first rodeo. What the heck.

6.1 Nameservers. Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

1 Like

You seem to have misunderstood the situation. Cloudflare has given me 4 nameservers for a single registration. The original 2 need to be changed to the second 2.

Read the page generated by Cloudflare’s system below:

A valid solution requires resolution of the issue.

The issue is that Cloudflare is instructing me to change the nameservers yet seems to provide no avenue for me to do so.

Cloudflare is the registrar. The nameservers, all of them are Cloudflare nameservers.

Hmm, that’s weird. I recently bought a domain through Cloudflare and it created the Site for me automatically. It’s odd to me that you are having to go through the Add a Site process.

This isn’t something I can help with unfortunately, so hopefully a staff member or someone who knows what’s going on can jump in.

But basically, you can’t change the nameservers like it’s suggesting in your screenshot.

1 Like

I appreciate your time b. It does seem odd. I have another site which uses Cloudflare but Cloudflare is not the registrar for it.

I am using the same hosting for both.

Eventually things will clear up. When they do I will post here so others may profit and understand.

1 Like

Can you clarify that this is the same Cloudflare account where you registered the domain and you are not trying to add it to a different one?

Assuming that’s the case, you will need to contact Support for them to manually resolve this.

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. Make sure you select Registrar as the category to route it to the correct team and please post your ticket number here.

2 Likes

Yes it is the same account where I registered the domain.

I believe the ticket number is 2510961.

Thanks, I’ve escalated that ticket.

The reply from Cloudflare support insists I must use the Community to address the challenge.

Ticket number: #2510961

They have closed the ticket, marking it solved. Though clearly it is not.

I understand this having worked in bubble help rolling out networks.

Thank you, d. Eventually electrons cooperate when you give them a chance.

Did you definitely choose the Registrar option when submitting the ticket? That should not direct you here (technical support might on free plans).

Either way I have escalated it to the Registrar Support Team and they can re-open the ticket.

I used DNS as the topic. If memory serves.

Oh, that will be the issue then. That counts as tehcnical support which is unavailable on Free plans.

Doesn’t matter, it will be routed to them now.

1 Like

With your kind help I avoid multiplying tickets. I have been on the receiving end of that and wish whenever reasonably possible to avoid it. Right now I am a user and trying to be the best user I can so the Support Staff have a better day.

3 Likes

Absolutely, that slows it down for everyone.

A colleague of mine replied to this and asked for more information regarding the reason of the change. For example, we could ask the team to move the domain to another account or change the name servers if they should be separated. Depending on what the use case is, we’ll then escalate it further to the registrar team. Please reply in the ticket and we’ll take a look. Ticket is open now. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Registrar Domain transfers between accounts can not be done for self-service customers.

Is this now possible?

Not sure, but it never hurts to ask

EDIT: Registrar Domain transfers between accounts can not be done for self-service customers.

Asking, because it was my understanding Cloudflare would not support moving domains. And if it is supported, it would be good to have that information because there are often such requests.

1 Like