Icann 60 day rule?

I understand to transfer a ‘.com’ domain requires me unlock and get the auth code from the source registrar but I’ve advised I cannot move the domain for 60 days since I updated the whois record recently. Is this correct?

Yes, that’s normal.

#### 60 day window requirement

ICANN prohibits domain transfers within 60 days of a change to the WHOIS data or registrar of a domain. If you modified your contact information, transferred registrars, or registered your domain in the last 60 days, we will be unable to process your transfer immediately.

2 Likes

This is normal…but don’t be confused, it’s referring to domain ownership, not nameserver changes…you can change the nameserver any time you want. But if you newly register, re-register, or transfer a domain to a new host, you can’t do anything with it for 60 days. I’ve gotten in this jam before because when you pay your annual renewal fee, it’s considered like a new registration, and after you pay that fee, you have to wait 60 days to transfer it to a new host. You can however, change the nameserver, or make any other DNS adjustments you need to, as the domain is registered to you…you just have to do it at the place where you paid the fee and registered it if you did it in the last 60 days.

1 Like