I can't see my logo when Cloudflare is enabled, but when I pause Cloudflare I can see it

For some reason having Cloudflare enabled is caused my logo to not be visible, but once I pause Cloudflare on my site I am able to see the logo again. When I have Cloudflare enabled and the logo is not showing up, I am seeing a 502 error on my logo image when I use the “Inspect” tool on the homepage of my site (ourheritageofhealth.com)

Why Wait
Don’t wait for an answer, find it fast! Search for #CommunityTip error:
Example: #CommunityTip 521

Test Before You Post
Unsure of the issue? Test before posting using the Cloudflare Diagnostic Center: Diagnostic Center | Check SSL and Test Website Security | Cloudflare

Hi @lori , I went ahead and ran a quick test on your site and I can see the following link for your logo image while inspecting the main page https://www.ourheritageofhealth.com/ I can see that the logo you are referring to is from the link https://www.ourheritageofhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/blog-head-svg5.svg. Also, I can see that this image is not cached on Cloudflare but it is showing a cache hit from your origin.

| Server                      | cloudflare                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        |
| Last-Modified               | Thu, 13 May 2021 21:57:24 GMT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     |
| Cf-Cache-Status             | MISS 

While on your origin, I can see

| Date                        | Wed, 08 Sep 2021 17:46:12 GMT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| Content-Type                | image/svg+xml                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| Connection                  | keep-alive                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
| Last-Modified               | Thu, 13 May 2021 21:57:24 GMT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 |
| Cf-Cache-Status             | HIT 

Also, I can see that you are using LiteSpeed cache. You may want to purge other external cache other than Cloudflare. Hope this helps.

Hi Tobi,

Thank you for looking into this for me! May I ask where you saw that I was using LiteSpeed cache? I wasn’t aware that that was on my site at all. The only caching plugin that I am using is WP Super Cache. I checked my plugin list and I don’t see LiteSpeed cache anywhere.

I also saw that you mentioned that the logo image is not being cached on Cloudflare but is showing a cache hit from my origin. Does origin mean my hosting provider?

Thank you again for your time in looking into this for me,
Lori

Your homepage has this response header:
x-turbo-charged-by LiteSpeed

This is a server cache, though it can usually be configured via a plugin.

Correct. The origin is where you site is hosted.

Regarding the logo, I’m seeing a 502 error when trying to load it. And it’s actually an error coming from Cloudflare:

If @tobi still isn’t around, open a ticket and see if they can replicate the issue. Please post the ticket # here once you receive it.

Hi @sdayman, Thank you very much for your reply and for explaining those things further for me. It’s possible that my host may be using the LiteSpeed cache on my site even though I didn’t add it myself with a plugin. I’ll check with them to see about that. Maybe somehow that is causing some type of conflict. And if that doesn’t make a difference then I will open a ticket like you suggested.

Also, can you turn off the Always Online toggle in your Dashboard -> Caching -> Configuration -> Always Online. If purging that cache and turning off the Always Online did not fix the issue, please open a ticket with support and include the output of www.ourheritageofhealth.com/cdn-cgi/trace to further investigate this issue.

After further investigation, we can see the following is returned from your origin for the resource:

{ [5 bytes data]
* Connection state changed (MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS == 100)!
} [5 bytes data]
< HTTP/2 200 
< cache-control: public, max-age=604800
< expires: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:47:26 GMT
< content-type: image/svg+xml
< last-modified: Thu, 13 May 2021 21:57:24 GMT
< accept-ranges: bytes
< content-encoding: gzip
< content-length: 441877
< date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 17:47:26 GMT
< server: LiteSpeed
< access-control-allow-origin: *
< alt-svc: h3-34=":443"; ma=2592000, h3-29=":443"; ma=2592000, h3-27=":443"; ma=2592000, h3-Q050=":443"; ma=2592000, h3-Q046=":443"; ma=2592000, h3-Q043=":443"; ma=2592000, quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="43,46"
< 
{ [5 bytes data]
* Error while processing content unencoding: incorrect header check
} [5 bytes data]
* stopped the pause stream!
* Connection #0 to host <redacted> left intact
curl: (61) Error while processing content unencoding: incorrect header check

I would suggest disabling compression at your origin for the resource and let Cloudflare handle the compression of the resource.

1 Like

Hi @Tobi, Thank you for your reply and for looking into this further for me. I tried disabling the Always Online like you suggested, and I am still not seeing the logo showing up. I will also look into disabling compression at the origin like you mentioned and see if that helps.

1 Like

Hi @Tobi, I just wanted to update that I checked with the developers of my theme (Mediavine Trellis) and they said while they serve .webp versions of my images to my site, which is a type of compression, they do not do any gzip compression. And they also said that they do not do anything with LiteSpeed either. My host also said that LiteSpeed is not being used on my site, so I still do not have any idea where that could be coming from.

The Mediavine Trellis team also suggested that I mention the fact that the settings page for my theme Trellis also disappears when Cloudflare is enabled. So, if I were to try to re-upload my logo image or to try to upload my logo in a different image format, I wouldn’t be able to do that unless I were to disable Cloudflare on my site. For some reason having Cloudflare enabled is keeping both that settings page and the logo from showing up.

That is a stunning revelation. If my guess is correct, your server’s IP address ends in .39 and is very much using LiteSpeed.

@sdayman, I was surprised to hear my host say that as well. I will contact them again and pass along the screenshot that you sent and see if maybe they missed something or there was some type of misunderstanding.

1 Like

Hi @sdayman I was told by my host that my site is using the LiteSpeed server but not the caching functionality. So I guess that explains why LiteSpeed is showing up in connection with my site. My host suggested purging the Cloudflare cache. I had actually done that yesterday and a day or two before as well with no change that I could see, but I purged it again just recently, and this time it seems like it might have made a difference. I was able to access the theme settings page that I normally can’t access with Cloudflare enabled, and I was able to change my logo to a difference image format to see if that would make a difference, and I am able to see the logo showing up now. Hopefully it will stay that way this time. Thank you again for your help in looking into these things for me!