I can't create a cname record for a Cloudflare domain

Im trying to create a cname to point a domain to a website that also happens to be using Cloudflare for its redirect. When I do, I get a 1004 error. Essentially, Im trying to create an app subdomain for my domain (sorry, can’t include domain???) Im pointing it to (sorry, can’t include domain???). However, every time I try this, I get nothing but the 1004 error code. Ive read the help docs and nothing is explaining, to me that is, why it’s not working and how to fix this error code. Please help!

Are you trying to have that particular cname.domain.com CNAME record as proxied :orange: and it points to a domain already on Cloudflare :orange: ? :thinking: Give it a try with unproxied :grey:.

I always choose unproxied

Im trying to do app. domain. com pointing to app. otherdomain /page extension. I keep getting the error message when I do.

Note, the cname for the other domain is also with Cloudflare. Could that be why?

I always choose unproxied

Im trying to do app. domain. com pointing to app. otherdomain /page extension. I keep getting the error message when I do.

Note, the cname for the other domain is also with Cloudflare. Could that be why?

Thank you for feedback.

Yes, this would cause the issue.

So, how do I correct for this?

Sounds more like an 1014.

To allow CNAME record resolution to a domain in a different Cloudflare account, the domain owner of the CNAME target must use Cloudflare for SaaS.

1 Like

Yet, the specific error code that pops up at the bottom of the screen when I click save, in red, says 1004.

You can’t have the /page part in a DNS record. Please follow your hosting providers instructions for adding a custom domain.

1 Like

I can’t point to a specific page/path to point another domain to?

No, that is not the job of DNS.

You need to configure the path to serve on your webserver.

1 Like

Ok. I give up. Im not sure what to do here at this point…

That’s really all there is. You hosting provider will tell you what DNS record you need to create.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.