HTTPS/2 on Wordpress?

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002816808-How-do-I-enable-HTTP-2-Server-Push-in-WordPress

Is this still the way to do it? How can I tell if it has an impact on my site?

Thanks!

This is the way to do it on a WordPress website if you want all your files (up to a maximum of, if I remember it correctly, 50). It is also very convenient in the sense that the plugin has access to each of your page/post and can send files accordingly.

In one of my websites, one that is more image and JS heavy, however, this led to issues with Safari on iOS, so I had to turn it off.

If you want to selectively preload files you can use the Link header to add files you specify, either by creating a rule on your htaccess file, or by using a plugin.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/218367338-HTTP-2-Server-Push

You’d need to test before/after with webpagetest.org or GTMetrix.

2 Likes

Thanks! Turns out my host use it by default anyway:

Hi @dipperdolphin, just to clarify:

Your original post has a title concerning HTTP/2 but the document it linked to refers to a specific feature of HTTP/2, namely Server Push.

Cloudflare sits between your host and your visitors, and it has HTTP/2 available by default on all plans. However, Cloudflare will only communicate with your host using HTTP/1.x, regardless of whether your host supports HTTP/2. You can have some of the benefits of HTTP/2 between your host and Cloudflare if you have Railgun, according to a comment in this blog post:

As for HTTP/2 Server Push, you can set it to automatically add resource hints (preconnect, preload etc) to all your website files (up to 50 per page) according to the instructions on the page linked in your OP, as well as to a limited set of files using the Link header, as mentioned in my previous reply.

I serve my images from cdn subdomain. How would I go about preconnecting?

And how would I enable this for my Wordpress site?

Thanks

Just follow the instructions on the page you linked to in your OP.

1 Like

Thanks, have done so and hopefully the site will be quicker!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.