How to properly configure cloudflare to block atacks

Ever since moving to Cloudflare I’ve had an almost an endless amount of form spam coming from websites. I’m not saying it’s related, but I’ve moved domains from Google and everything started right after moving to cloudflare. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason, perhaps something not configured by default that may have been automatic at another registrar?

Lastly, and more importantly, any recommendation on settings to help alleviate this issue? For example, I’m getting a form submission every 2-3 minutes over and over again and it appears mainly from Russia, but I am seeing results from multiple countries. I’d really appreciate some suggestions here. Thanks!

1. Set up Firewall Rules: Go to the Security → WAF app in your Cloudflare dashboard and create rules to challenge or block traffic based on characteristics such as country, user agent, or IP address.
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 4.56.36 PM

2. Enable Security Level: Increase the security level in the Firewall settings to “Medium” or “High” to challenge more visitors that exhibit suspicious behavior.

3. Use Rate Limiting: Implement rate limiting to prevent abuse of your website’s resources by limiting how often a user can perform actions within a set time frame.

4. Enable Bot Management: If you’re on a paid plan, consider using Cloudflare’s Bot Management features to identify and mitigate malicious bots.

5. CAPTCHA Challenges: Set up CAPTCHA challenges for suspicious traffic to verify if the visitors are human.

Finally, enable under attack mode if you cannot stop the attacks with more a more precise approach.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. This is exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.