How to migrate custom domains to Cloudflare?

I want to switch over to Cloudflare but not sure how to do so in my case, without breaking anything.

I have a domain mydomain.com as well as wildcard subdomains pointing {id}.mydomain.com to mydomain.com/{id}.

However, my customers have their own domains which are pointing to mine through ALIAS records.

They create an ALIAS record for theirdomain.com pointing to mydomain.com, of which I use dynamic NGINX virtual hosts to point them accordingly.

Does Cloudflare support this (on the free plan)?

There’s a couple hundred of these custom domains, would they be able to keep the ALIAS record there?

Or would I have to contact them to update their records - and have them create an A Record pointing to the Cloudflare IPs?

Thanks

Not to a :orange: Proxied hostname. If you want customers to be able to alias to proxied subdomains, you would need at least a Business Plan.

Thanks for the response.

So on the Business plan, that would mean an unlimited number of custom domains can be pointed to mydomain.com through ALIAS records? Or is there a limit

If I were to use the Pro plan, could the same result be achieved, though with A Records instead of ALIAS?

This process always throws me off. I believe the Business Plan “CNAME Setup” is just for your own domain. I’m reviewing Understanding a CNAME Setup – Cloudflare Help Center right now.

For a full-on “Bunch of customers aliasing to your subdomains” setup, I’m pretty sure you’ll need an Enterprise Plan, which is what major sites like Shopify do. Naturally, it’s a ton of money to let hundreds (or thousands+) of customers use your Cloudflare setup in this manner.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.