How to forward

I am not sure why, but if I ping my domain, it points to Cloudflare nameserver rather than back to my ip… What do I need to do to get it to point to my IP address?

Click the orange cloud icon next to the DNS record and it will turn grey then that should update your DNS record

OK, that makes sense.

So here is what I am trying to accomplish - I have my own domain hosted on Cloudflare, and have A record and CNAME set up. My Home IP has a dynamic IP address, and in fact it just changed yesterday after having been the same IP for over a year. I run Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. I used to be able to log into my domain from anywhere and it went to the Raspberry Pi. However, I needed to update the Pi to the newest version of Debian and redo my Home Assistant. Now I cannot make the external access work. I just want to be able to log into my domain from Chrome and have it forward to my Pi. And I want it to update the IP on Cloudflare when it changes. I have downloaded and installed SSL certificates from Cloudflare. What else do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks so very much,
Mike

This is the tricky part. Cloudflare’s Origin CA SSL certificate is only for hostnames :orange: Proxied by Cloudflare. But :orange: is for website traffic (HTTP/S over a handful of ports).

What is it about Cloudflare that prompted you to move your domain here?

Why not use cloudflared tunnel? Then no problem of ip Change and you can even securely connect

I think the first thing that drew me to Cloudflare was the ability to get SSL certificates that did not expire every 3 months like they do on LetsEncrypt. I was running it and after 3 months the certificate expired and I had to manually go create new ones and replace the old ones. And then for some reason I could not get the new ones to work and no more access.

I am using fullchain.pem not origin.pem. Is that correct? And I am trying to use proxy just to forward encrypted access to my Pi using only port 8443 (with a forward on my router from 443 to 8443). So does that qualify as a “handful” of ports?

I am not familiar with cloudflared tunnel? Where can I find out more about it?

You can start from here

https://bit.ly/3w0w4IG

Cloudflare Tunnel reverses the connection process. Instead of having Cloudflare DNS point to your server, you configure your server to connect to Cloudflare, and Cloudflare DNS will point to your tunnel connection instead of your server. You don’t have to bother with IP addresses.

You can browse to the regular Port 443 because the tunnel will map to which ever port you’re using on your Pi. It could be 443 or 8443.

For starters, you can install cloudflared with the first part of the instructions below. Just the first black box to get the file, install it, and make sure it works.

If this sounds like something you want to pursue, let us know and we can help you through the complete process.

1 Like

OK, I was able to get a tunnel up and running. Looks like if I set up a team, there is no fee? Anyway, I need to do more testing. Among other things I have an app on my phone called tasker which calls a Home Assistant service to execute opening switches. One drawback I see with the tunnel is it has only a 30 day maximum duration? What happens then - I need to go redo it every month? I don’t like that requirement. Having my domain forwarding from Cloudflare to my Pi seems like it was much less hassle.

Teams “seats” are free for up to 50 people.

Where did you see a 30-day maximum? Is that Quick Tunnel?

A regular tunnel is pretty much forever.

I followed this guide: Create a Free Cloudflare Tunnel - My Journey

The 30 days comes when you set up an application. Is there another way to do it?

If you’re talking about the 1 Month on Access, that’s just like a login cookie. You’d have to log in again after a month, but the tunnel is still there.

Are you talking about quick cloudflare tunnel. I think there is no limit of you are using with domain

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.