Thank you for your insight.
I use Zenfolio to host my images that display on [redacted]. I set up the custom domain name via Zenfolio so my images show as [redacted]. The image urls are equivalent to [redacted] etc.
I have set up the zenfolio CNAME record on CF for the sub domain gallery.example.com to “custom.zenfolio.com”. It will not allow me to enter a A name with “A CNAME already exists with that host” coming up.
So everything is working, and has been for several years like this. I never rerouted DNS or HTTP for my subdomains through cloudflare. I do use cloudflare for www.mysite.com. I have https via cloudflare working on several pages that have images self hosted (shared hosting). This is what I am trying to do now with the sub domain so my whole site can be https.
I’ve tried flexible SSL for the subdomain but still the same issue. All gallery.mysite.com images start out redirecting to https with green padlock etc. Then about 15 minutes later I get “invalid URL”.
Right now: I have enabled DNS/HTTP on clouflare (orange cloud). And Cloudflare’s Crypto tab to turn on “Always Use HTTPS”
When I do this on Chrome, the page loads as https but the image does not show. On other browser the https shows as not secure.
If I go directly to the image https://gallery.mysite.com/img/s2/v58/p1892141452-2.jpg Chrome tells me “Your connection is not private” and there’s an error message stating “NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID”
In advanced (chrome) it says “This server could not prove that it is gallery.mysite.com; its security certificate is from a248.e.akamai.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.”
I’ve tried flexible, full and strict SSL but all seem to come back with the same as above.
Hmmm. The fact that the images show up as https for a short time gives me hope. But, other than that I’m lost …
not sure if this helps but when the SSL does work at the start, the browsers advanced settings it shows me the *cloudflaressl.com cert.
In another small update, I turned all options off for the sub domain once the images started showing as unsecure. Within minutes they show as secure. Presumably as DNS propagates. Just makes me think there’s one thing I’m missing in the settings somewhere that’s blocking from this working properly.
one more update the https image urls are coming back with “The requested URL “http://%5bNo%20Host%5d/img/s6/v142/p2139561915-2.jpg”, is invalid.”