How to connect domain to hosting?

Hello Cloudflare community,

I hope this finds you well. I am reaching out because I recently purchased a domain through Cloudflare, and I’m excited to get my website up and running. However, I’m a bit of a newbie in this area and could use some guidance.

Here’s the situation:

1. I have just bought a hosting plan from [Hosting Provider Name].
  2. My domain is registered with Cloudflare, and I have the Cloudflare name servers.

I’m a bit unsure about how to connect these two services seamlessly. I have no experience in this, and any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Questions I have:

1. How do I update the name servers on my hosting provider to those provided by Cloudflare?
  2. Are there any specific DNS configurations I need to be aware of on Cloudflare?
  3. Should I be concerned about DNS propagation time, and if so, how long does it typically take?
  4. Are there any SSL/TLS settings on Cloudflare that I should configure for my website?

I understand that these might be basic questions, but I’m eager to learn and any step-by-step guidance or tips would be fantastic. If you could provide clear instructions or point me to relevant resources, that would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I truly appreciate any assistance or advice you can offer.

Best regards.

1. You don’t need to update name servers with hosting provider they aren’t handling your domain/DNS. So scratch that off the list, they provide you with the servers and their IP endpoints.

2. In DNS you will assign your first “A” record for yourdomainname.com @ webserverIP, with proxied on to benefit from cloudflares free SSL and security.

3. DNS propagation time is pretty fast, I’d not worry about it at all.

4. You should aim for FULL (strict) ideally, the edge-certificate option should be looked through and tuned. Honestly should be looking through a lot to configure this then run an SSL grade test on the site.

There’s no real easy answer.

Thanks for your response. I have found a great tutorial on this subject and it explained in details everything you said in your post. I managed to connect my domain to the hosting and will now look into configuring SSL. Mods can lock the topic if they want.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.