How to connect CF when domain and hosting are different companies?

Hello friends :slight_smile: I’m a newbie and this is my first thread.

I have CF account for a few months connected with one domain. Now i have a new domain at GoDaddy and i have some local hosting service. I have pointed my domain to my hosting provider by changing DNS at GoDaddy. Now i want to connect Cloudflare to my website but i don’t know how, if i change DNS of my domain I’m afraid it will lose connection with my hosting…What should i do, which DNS i should change for everything to work correctly…!?

Thanks a lot!
M.A.

Hi @veselibg,

No problem, hopefully I can help explain this and clear it up for you :slight_smile:.

Cloudflare is a DNS provider, when you change your domain’s nameservers to point to Cloudflare, Cloudflare will start providing your DNS and GoDaddy will just be your registrar. You change your nameservers to Cloudflare and then point the DNS records at Cloudflare to your web host.

When you add the domain here, it will scan your current DNS records and try to copy them all over from GoDaddy to Cloudflare. If you just check that the ones at Cloudflare match those at GoDaddy before changing your nameservers then you should be fine!

Please just let us know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks for fast replay :slight_smile: !

If i understand right, first i need to go to GoDaddy and change DNS-to enter Cloudflar nameservers there. Than i need to go to my Cloudflare account and click it on DNS icon and than in DNS settings (table) i need to enter CNAME/www/domain name/automatic TTL and add record.

Is that correct?!

I made it, everything is working now, i put it IP of my hosting provider…

Thanks for assistance :slight_smile: !!!

1 Like

No problem! Sorry I didn’t reply earlier - glad it worked for you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.