How integrate google blogger subdomain with Cloudflare?

I just signed up my website with Cloudflare free plan.
I have website with blog subdomain pointing to my google blog
https://blog.sweetdreamsstudio.com - this use to work before I pointed my DNS name servers to Cloudflare

But now I get host error - Cloudflare is unable to establish an SSL connection to the origin server.
My CNAME record is
NAME - blog
CONTENT - ghs.google.com
PROXY Status - Proxied

Change this to :grey: DNS Only, then give it five minutes to take effect. Then see about getting your blogger site to work at the origin.

hi
I change proxy status to DNS and waited about 30 minutes and i keep getting error -
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to blog.sweetdreamsstudio.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Do I have to wait longer? I am looking up other posts about integrating blogger and some mentioned creating a 2nd CNAME record in Cloudflare? Create a CNAME record for my custom domain - Blogger Help

My website sweetdreamsstudio.com is hosted on a hosting company and not cloudflare.

On blogger settings (I don’t see any other settings to change)
Blog address - sweetdreamsstudio.blogspot.com
Custom domain - blog.sweetdreamsstudio.com
Redirect domain is turned off

The blogspot address redirect to your domain, but at least the blogspot URL works with HTTPS. But your CNAME target is not set up for HTTPS on that hostname, which isn’t good. If they let you set a custom hostname for your CNAME, then they should have a way to include SSL as well.

you are saying CNAME target which is google blogger is not enabling SSL? And that is why I am getting error?
Should i change CNAME to ghs.googlehosted.com and I need to create 2nd CNAME? Not sure how to do that
Article says -
Second, you need a second security CNAME record. When you try to register your domain in Blogger, the system should fail and display two security tokens. You’ll need to create a second CNAME record to associate the short token (example: hqzzzn56a3ri) to the long token (example: gv-oc7x5vzzzqxirt.dv.googlehosted.com). Note: Changes to DNS records may take up to 48 hours to take effect.

I’m not sure if you should change your existing CNAME.

The second CNAME might be the way they issue SSL for the custom hostname. Have you added that second CNAME?

based on article Create a CNAME record for my custom domain - Blogger Help
I tried update my custom domain in Blogger to www.sweetdreamsstudio.com
it gave error msg with 2 tokens to create 2nd CNAME -
We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. On your domain registrar’s website, locate your Domain Name System (DNS) settings and enter the following two CNAMEs: (Name: www, Destination: ghs.google.com) and (Name: ihv6dsqzqncm, Destination: gv-b75e6hh5zu7kdr.dv.googlehosted.com).

I added this 2nd CNAME. Should I set proxy status to DNS ?
I guess I have to wait then?

Yes. It’s looking for those special values that will only show up in :grey: DNS Only mode.

Its been 6hrs and I tried https://blog.sweetdreamsstudio.com/ but still get error msg cannot establish secure Connection to server

I don’t know what else to do. I added 2nd cname point to google and dns is set for proxy Status for both cname records
I was hoping since blogger is popular there would be straightforward fix to work with cloudflare as subdomain to my main website

The straightforward fix is for Blogger to issue a certificate for the custom hostname. Their process might be a little complicated, though. If everything is set to :grey: DNS Only, or you’ve Pause Cloudflare on site, then it all falls to Blogger to get this working. Cloudflare can’t fix a broken origin.

I noticed in message blogger gave to create 2 cname records when I tried changing custom domain to www.sweetdreamsstudio.com from blog.sweetdreamsstudio.com - it says for 1st cname that name is www and destination is ghs.google.com
I have first cname name as blog instead of www.
Is this causing problem?

You really need to verify this with Blogger. Cloudflare will publish whatever DNS records Blogger tells you to. Just make sure they’re :grey: until you get the Blogger setup working with HTTPS.

I found switch in blogger setup to turn on https. I turned it on and it says to wait to process. So hopefully this fixes secure connection

HTTPS availability
Status: Pending - HTTPS Availability is being processed. Check back later.

1 Like

I just checked and blog works now.
I am shocked but relieved it works
Thank you for all help explanations

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.