How do I use cloudflare when hosting my nameservers?

cdn
firewall
nameserver

Hi. So I am a bit confused right now. I currently have these settings setup on my namecheap nameservers:

NS1.HOSTUP.ORG 195.140.213.39
NS2.HOSTUP.ORG 195.140.213.39

I want to setup cloudflare on my main domain, hostup.org, but how do I do this?. If point my nameservers to cloudflare then how can I use cpanel with it? I am currently hosting my own nameservers in cpanel. I only want to use cloudflare on my main domain.

Oh sorry, I ment NS2 on the last one :slight_smile:

You need to use Cloudflare’s name servers in order to route your domain through Cloudflare. Unless you’re a hosting partner, in which case you’d use your own, but they’d be synced with Cloudflare.

But if I change my nameserver to cloudflares nameserver, how can people use ns1.hostup.org nameserver to get an account at the cpanel?

This should get you to your cPanel https://cpanel.hostup.org:2083/

But I have another domain. It is currently pointed towards ns1.hostup.org. If I change my nameservers on hostup.org namecheap account to cloudflares nameservers the ns1, ns2 wont be avalible right? Do I need to apply for cloudflare partner to keep my own nameservers or?

They could still be active, they could simply remain as hosts in the DNS panel with the :grey: option selected removing the proxying by Cloudflare. The hostup.org domain won’t use those name servers, but other people can use them.

You can have custom (still only vanity, still pointing to Cloudflare) name servers on Cloudflare plans Business and up.

Thank you alot! So if I understand you correctly, the ns1.hostup.org will still point to 195.140.213.39, but the main domain will go through cloudflare? :blush:

Correct. Obviously you currently have those hosts as glue records, you could remove those as they are not needed anymore (maybe wait at least the TTL of the NS), but add them to the Cloudflare dashboard.

That is great! But won’t this like slow down the nameservers or anything since they first have to go to cloudflares nameservers, then it figures out that NS1 goes to that ip, instead of knowing that ns1 goes to that ip right away?

Would becoming a hosting partner fix anything?

It would simplify updates to the IPs and it would move the load from the registrar. It does change by at most a few milliseconds, only for the first resolution reducing the size of your domain replies.

I don’t know a lot (if anything at all) about hosting partners. That would be best solved by contacting their partner contacts here https://www.cloudflare.com/partners/.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.