Currently our Hostgator-hosted site is using Cloudflare, with a full(strict) SSL setup, including enabled HSTS (6 months expiration). We have opened an account with Cloudways and are running a Vultr instance that we will run our site from. We are ready to make this staging site our main live production site and I want to ensure all steps are taken to perform the migration successfully.
Both sites are running wordpress and the domain name will remain the same. A couple of questions arise and would love your assistance.
- The actual migration itself is as simple as pointing the A record to the new domain right?
- Will wordpress sort out the URL issues, images and such when the staging site’s URL gets changed? What steps do I need to take to not end up with problems and broken images?
- How do I ensure that the SSL certificate works when the migration is done - shall I install the SSL already on the staging site?
- I have the option to use Let’sEncrypt SSL’s automatically from Cloudways - shall I opt for this rather than the Cloudflare certificate? If so, how and when do I make this switch?
- Do I create a new Cloudflare account for the staging site with a new SSL certificate?
- Do I migrate the site without SSL certificate first and then only apply it once the domain migration is completed?
- How do ensure that the HSTS settings don’t leave my site hanging, or people unable to reach the site?
- SEO-wise, is there anything to consider during a migration?
Sorry for the multitude of questions, I am unsure how to begin. Thanks already in advance for any guidance.