How do I make sure that my configuration is correct and my website is being served by Cloudflare?

Answer these questions to help the Community help you get started.

What is the domain name?
SusanvilleStuff

Have you searched for an answer?
It’s a broad question and searching yielded no specific results applicable to my question. :slight_smile:

Please share your search results url:

When you tested your domain, what were the results?
Right now the website is up and looks fine. But I don’t think it is running through Cloudflare.

Describe the issue you are having:
I set up Cloudflare and everything looks correct in my dashboard, but there isn’t any traffic running through Cloudflare.

What error message or number are you receiving?

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

Was the site working with SSL prior to adding it to Cloudflare?

What are the steps to reproduce the error:

Have you tried from another browser and/or incognito mode?

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

You are correct. Your domain is currently not :orange: proxied. If the web hostnames, which is typically comprised of the apex name and www, are currently set to :grey: DNS Only, switching them to :orange: will begin routing traffic through the Cloudflare proxy. If they already are :orange:, make sure that you haven’t paused Cloudflare.

Be sure to leave any hostnames that are not used exclusively with HTTP or HTTPS set to :grey: DNS Only. The name mail is a good example.

4 Likes

You are right that your site is not served by Cloudflare. If you want to activate the Cloudflare proxy, you need to switch the DNS record from DNS-only :ngrey: to Proxied :norange:.

Ah well, I was too slow, but the following part still answers your question I guess:

To make sure it works, you can either look up the IP address served for your domain and check if it is within the ranges listed here, or you can open the site in your browser, press F12, go to Network and then reload the site. Open the first request and go to headers.

It will say Server: Cloudflare and have a CF-Ray if it is served by Cloudflare.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response! Let me confirm quickly before I go do this. (Trying not to break things through my own incompetence lol) I have an A record pointing at susanvillestuff that is currently set to DNS only and I have a CNAME record for www susanvillestuff and that is DNS only at the moment. So I need to switch those two records to proxied?

2 Likes

Thank you for your help Laudian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Switch those two names to :orange: Proxied.

When a CNAME is set to :orange:, Cloudflare publishes it as A and AAAA records of the Cloudflare proxy. I mention this, so you don’t wonder what happened to your CNAME if you don’t see it in DNS results after it is :orange:.

You can update your SPF record to remove the +a since you will never be sending email from Cloudflare proxy IPs.

1 Like

Breaking things is how we (at least I) learn how to do things without breaking them (correctly.)

2 Likes

Agreed. The only person who never breaks anything is the one who never does anything.

It is always preferable to learn from the things the break. It can be helpful to have similar, but less critical deployments where learning mistakes have lesser impact.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.