How do I get Cloudflare Blacklist removed?

I am a retail customer on a large cable Internet service. My IP is assigned by the ISP and they only change it about once every six months, or when the service is upgraded. Cloudflare - or some security service that Cloudflare is using - has blacklisted my IP address, and this is interfering with my ability to use websites. I have never been involved in any kind of spam or abuse situation. How do I get my IP whitelisted again?

Why do you believe that you are being blacklisted?
If you are seeing the forbidden message then the owner of the site you are trying to connect to has added a firewall rule to block you and you will need to work with them to restore access.

1 Like

When I visit websites using Cloudflare I am sometimes directed to Cloudflare web page indicating there is a problem with my security. For example, when I visit “findmyanswer.com” it gives an error 1020 and “This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.”. At the bottom of the page it references a Cloudflare “ray id” and says “performance and SECURITY by Cloudflare”. None of that suggests a static security rule configured by findmyanswer. That suggests a dynamic use of a security service provided by Cloudflare.

I had a similar problem with a price service for Amazon named Camelizer and their customer service - which was fantastic by the way - indicated that they were using an outside security service that had identified my IP as problematic. They ended up writing a white list rule for my IP to override that outside service. But that is another example where the security problem was not from the website, but from the security service used by the website.

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

Rather, that’s the free will of the website’s owner and his level of protection measurements as my colleague @Cyb3r-Jak3 already mentioned.

Rather blocked for some reason, not blacklisted.

May I ask if this error you got when visiting your own website or someone else’s?

If you get this error while visiting someone else’s website, I am afraid you cannot do anything. You can try to access it using a VPN or over a TOR, but I do not guarantee because it could also be blocked and restricted.

Obviously the website owner is using Cloudflare and security options available to him to protect his website.

The site can block for any number of reason, that’s up to them and not something this Community nor Cloudflare can do anything about.

Helpful articles which contain useful information articles about 1020 Access Denied error page can be found below:

1 Like

The website owner is receiving a false positive signal from Cloudflare about my IP, and the website owner cannot resolve Cloudflare’s reasons for the false signal. They can override Cloudflare’s incorrect information by creating their own whitelist rule, which does nothing to help me in the long term because Cloudflare continues to generate false-positive signals about my IP to other websites, some of which I cannot even contact to ask for an investigation.

If Cloudflare’s security engine occasionally glitches and generates false-positive signals for an IP, then why can’t Cloudflare have some support process to investigate that and correct it? If there is a legitimate problem with my IP, why can’t Cloudflare show me the traffic they are seeing so I can investigate that, and if there is a real problem then I can correct it. Or, if the website owner has some rule like “never allow any IP that originates from a cable modem user”, then why not have some process so that Cloudfare can inform me about that? I would at least not lose sleep wondering what is going on.

Then, I am afraid your best chance is to contact website owner to unblock your IP.

Yes, he/she can add you to “bypass” and “allow” for it’s own website, but in general Cloudflare as a service provider didn’t added your IP on any of the public blacklists neither on any “grey” or “black” list or other known RBL.

You got the information screen you’ve been blocked from accessing this website → contact owner about it.

Please, read the mentioned articles about 1020 Error and you will find more additional information why this error happens to you, either in my post it’s more explained in detail.