How do I fix: An A, AAAA or CNAME record already exists with that host. (Code: 81053)

Help! I’m trying to add a new CNAME record but I keep getting an error message: “An A, AAAA or CNAME record already exists with that host. (Code: 81053)”. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong…

1 Like

What’s the name you’re trying to add?

I’m trying to add CNAME @ target.clickfunnels.com

1 Like

This might be just the help you need: (Code: 81053)

1 Like

Thanks but I am not sure what change exactly I need to make…

@ = example.com You already have a record for example.com. You need to either modify it (if it is a CNAME) to the clickfunnels target or delete the current A record and replace it with a CNAME record.

2 Likes

Adding a search string to find the tip on 81053, #Community Tip - Best Practices For adding a CNAME record / Fixing (Code: 81053). Search for the error to find a Tip to address.

^Hint - the solution in the post above is the path forward^

1 Like

Thanks so much for explaining! Quick question (sorry, I’m a complete newbie!), would I need to replace / delete both A records? Also, would that affect my hosting in any way? At the moment both A records point to the IP address of my web hosting company.

1 Like

If you have 2 A records for example.com yes. If one is www and the other is example.com, just the example.com (@ = root domain, which in this case is example.com).

Yes it would point it to Clickfunnels instead (assuming your current host is not clickfunnels). I don’t really know much about their service or how you set what domain or subdomain is use sorry.

1 Like

cscharff - you’re a lifesaver! Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.