How Cloudflare DNS works with Ionos pointing to Odoo?

Hi everyone,

Since Ionos (where I have my domain registered) don’t accept CNAME on Domains, just on sub-domains, how will it work with cloudflare ? And how will I finally have it pointing out to my odoo database ?

Thanks for you help.

Isabelle

If you use Cloudflare, you will manage your DNS within Cloudflare instead of Ionos. However, a CNAME for the apex domain isn’t allowed by standards. Cloudflare does offer CNAME flattening where you can specify a CNAME for the apex domain, but it will always resolve it and return an A record when queried so as to comply with the standards.

Most third party services will want to check the CNAME appears as a CNAME, so Cloudflare won’t fix that problem for you.

Odoo seems to have this requirement so they suggest to redirect from your apex domain to a subdomain (on Cloudflare this will need to be “DNS only” for the same reason as above). You can redirect on Cloudflare.

https://www.odoo.com/documentation/17.0/administration/maintain/domain_names.html#naked-domain

An Odoo user may appear to check this is correct.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.